Any H&K Tri amp owners out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RSRD, Sep 2, 2005.

1. RSRD

RSRD Member

I stumbled upon one at a music store yesterday and was blown away. I started on a great clean tone and ended with a fierce metal crunch, with alot of tone along the way! This is a great, versatile amp. I then read some of the past threads on them and see there are a few of you that feel the same way. I was just wondering if there are more Tri amp owners are on TGP. I have a few questions for you!

How long have you had the amp?
    What problems, if any, have you encountered?
    What do you find to be the strongest and weakest features?
    Do you have the MKI,MKII or even the Alex Lifeson series?
    What are the differences between the MKI, MKII and AL series?

I see a few MKIs on ebay for $1000 and that seems to be a hell of a good price, but I dont know what improvements come with the MKII.

Thanks much in advance!

Thomas

2. RSRD

RSRD Member

This is what the H&K site says about the model differences:

"The TriAmp MKII received a total makeover in terms of both visuals and sound. All three amps and six channels have been revamped from the bottom up and tweaked to satisfy 21st-century tastes in tone. With the optional MSM 1 module installed, the amps FX loop can be configured in series and in parallel via MIDI. The rear panel sports a handy Half-Power switch that halves its output power from 100W to 50W. The Power and Standby buttons are now on the front panel. In contrast to its predecessor, the TriAmp MKII is not equipped with reverb.

The Master Volume knob controls Amp 1 A directly, while Amp 1’s Volume knob exclusively controls Amp 1 B. This allows you to dial in and call up two different clean sounds with different volume levels."

~t

3. RSRD

RSRD Member

Guess I shoulda put a "whats your favorite" in front of the thread :D There aren't any H &K fans?

4. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

5. RSRD

RSRD Member

Looks like he's running 2 other H&Ks on top of his Tri Amps.

Thanks for the pic. I'm a huge Rush fan.

~t

6. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I don't know if things changed tonally, but the new one has a lighted front channels.

To my understanding the BIGGEST reason for the MkII to come out was because the MkI had SERIOUS reliability issues. They were the hot thing when they came out in my area, and when I asked the local H&K dealer about them he said nearly every one kept blowing power tubes and it was a nightmare.

FWIW, I've played the new one at store volume and the clean channel is incredibly revealing. I feel like I'm INSIDE the guitar! Whether this is cool or not is up to you.

7. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I have one. MkII. Covers lots of ground and the tone is very nice, very Marshall like.

8. RSRD

RSRD Member

That's an interesting way to put it. Thanks for the info on the MKI reliability. I'll have to do more research on the MkIIs reliability before I pull the trigger.

I see you have an XTC as well. How do they compare in your experience? I'm a huge Bogner fan (own the Shiva) and I was demoing the XTC the day I ran across the MKII. I only demo'd each for a few minutes, and thru different 4X12s, but it seemed to me the MKII had a better clean, was more versatile, had more metal umph, and a better price tag!!!

9. Legend

Legend Member

I have had my Triamp MKII for over 2 years, almost 3 now actually. There is a difference, besides the cosmetics, between the MKII and MKI. There is no difference, besides the cosmetics, between the MKII and Alex Sig.

I have had zero reliability problems so far. Only thing I have done to the amp is change tubes, it's never needed to go to a tech for anything so far. I gig 5 to 8 times a month, and mainly use this amp, unless its a small venue.

Strong points? Versatility. I have yet to play an amp which can cover the group that this amp can just by using the footswitch. You have 6 different tones all at your feet, without having to turn a nob. Perfect for live performance. The cleans are far superior to the XTC, Diezel, or other similar channel switchers that I have played.

Weaknesses? You could find an amp that would do any one sound better then the triamp. Like, I perfer the clean on my BF Fender to the clean of channel 1a. My JMP50 sounds a little better then channel 2a. The vox I'm borrowing sounds a little better to me then channel 1b, and so on and so forth. But none of those amps can cover the group that the triamp can. It's a jack of all trades, master of none type of deal. If all you need is 1 sound, you can do it better with another amp. If you need a range of tones, I don't think you can do much better than the triamp for live use.

What are teh differences between the MKI and MKII? Most MKI's came with 6l6's. The MKII's all ship with el34s. The MKII has a better balance between clean and dirty. The MKII Channel 1a does not use channel 1's master volume control, like it does on the MKI. This is a great help. With the MKI, if you want a super clean sound outta 1a, and some dirt on 1b, it aint gonna be the same volume. With the MKII this is not a problem. Set 1a for whatever clean sound you want, then adjust 1b's gain to your liking, and match the volumes between the 2 with channel 1's volume control. Now you can have a shimmering clean and some nice vox meets tweed grit outta 1b at the same volume, or whatever volume relationship you prefer. The MKII also has a half power switch, which I don't believe the MKI had. The FX loop is switchable between series or parallel, and can be saved via midi. There is also a "tight" button on the MKII to give channel 1 the righter bass response of a Combo amp if you find the bass too flubby.

I perfer the amp with Green backs. I've tried v30s, g12h's, green backs, and every combination I could come up with. 4 green backs sound the best to me. The Presence control on the amp is really important. It totally changes the tone and feel of the amp, so spend some good time with that nob.

10. RSRD

RSRD Member

Shaun, thanks for that great post! :dude Great information. I'll take special heed of that presence knob when I go back.

Thomas

11. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

ZenTeras.

When I took that picture, a guy that I work with and myself were the only people in the place. Security started coming in as they were going through different songs. It was awesome.

12. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

H&K's Triamps might just be the most underrated amps of all time. If you can find a Mk 1 Triamp used for a grand, jump on it (that's what I paid two years ago).

I sold the amp because of sheer volume. It was just too powerful for my playing conditions. Maybe the 50w setting on the Mk II might be more up my alley (I'm completely dedicated to my Fargen Epic 30 DC though now :cool: )

The things I liked about the Mk 1 was the Accutronics reverb tank and I liked how you could get more clean headroom out of channel 1A.

The Mk 2 seemed to revoice pretty much everything for the better. I liked that 1b could finally break up without being a lot louder than 1a. However, because 1a is controlled by the gain, for it to match other channels, some headroom is sacrificed (it was hard for me to get it really loud and stay perfectly clean). If you can live without the reverb and pure headroom on 1a, I think the Mk II is a worthwhile investment. H&K worked hard to make the other channels sound sweeter (2b, as I recall, sounded much better on the Mk II over the Mk I). The half power switch was a smart idea as well! I think that will benefit a lot of club players that otherwise would have given up on it.

Kind of a long ramble, I know, but that's my take on it anyways :D

13. RSRD

RSRD Member

Side question: does anyone know the dimensions?

~thomas