Any hammond B3 players here?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jaimoe, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Jaimoe

Jaimoe Member

Ok, can you lend a hand?

Like most of you, I'm a guitarist, but I recently acquired an old B3 and Leslie 122. Been enamoured by that sound since I was a teenager.

So, how can I get it to distort ala Jon Lord? Sure, send the signal to a Marshall, but I want that spinning Leslie tone also.

Is there a product that will split the signal or some box that will act like a junction where I can insert something like our TS9 to overdrive the Leslie?

Thanks for your help. Suggestions please.

2. stevel

stevel Member

You can post in the new Keyboards section!

I'm sure there are plenty of "how to get John Lord sound" videos on YT.

3. Jaimoe

Jaimoe Member

Thanks. Didn't know it existed.

4. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Richard Goodsell is a B3 player. He had to work on his own, got known for doing that, and evolved into building guitar amps. He's a member here, and a great guy.

5. slybird

slybird Member

I didn't know about that section. If that area ever becomes a thing for the larger synth community it will make this section much more enjoyable. The old school rockers here will be bombarded with threads about EDM, drone, darkwave, house, and some of the latest electronic music genres and production. Music from this century will no longer be ignored.

6. bob-i

bob-i Member

When I was rebuilding an old Hammond I signed up at organforum.com . The guys there are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  7. jmoose

jmoose Member

Yeah. Probably one of the best/easiest options is to install a Trek II preamp and FX loop.

http://trekii.com/

There are other ways too... do you know the history of the organ? If its been sitting for a long time the tonewheel needs to be oiled before it seizes. If it makes a screeching sound when you start it needs oil STAT. Its a regular maintenance item, couple times a year. Don't use WD40 or something, you'll kill it. Special formulation.

Where do you live? There are a handful of techs and resources all over the country... FWIW Richard Goodsell doesn't work on Hammonds anymore. He actually built a chopped, highly modifed A100 eons ago for my pal Damian Calcagne of the band Swampadelica. It was the prototype for what became his standard build, Greg Allman, Medeski etc. And yes Richard! The old swamp organ is STILL rolling along!

BTW - if you aren't familiar with Goff you should get to know them. Few places on the planet that know Hammonds as well as them. If you need parts they're often the go to source. Order a bottle of oil & get to know these guys... you'll eventually meet 'em anyway...

http://www.goffprof.com/collections...roducts/hammond-tonewheel-generator-oil-4oz-1

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Steve Hotra likes this.
  8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I had a C3 and 122 in my studio for about 12 years. Mine would distort if you played loud enough.

9. gennation

gennation Member

I play a lot of Hammond stuff of guitar. Meaning, learning Jon
    Lord, Emerson, Justman, Smith, etc...is something I do.

I run my guitar through organ pedals and play a number of gigs as the keyboardist...on guitar.

I have also been teaching guitar for over 35 years so let me know if I can help.

10. ibblue2

ibblue2 Member

Sending a hot signal to the Leslie is not a good idea. The weak link is the diaphragm in the upper horn, it won't last. As suggested, the Trek pre-amp would be a good way to send a separate signal to an amp to achieve the distortion. The "Hammond" pre-amp pedal is designed for the 147 family and won't work with your 122.

jmoose likes this.
  11. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

I had a later Hammond model and it had a gain pot on the inner amplifier.

12. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I had a Hammond A 101 for a few years in my garage.
    I learned how to play an organ..like and organ: not like a piano.
    There are a lot of technique that is different.
    I love the sound of a Hammond.
    When I am playing Hammond organ patches on a "work station" or a Nord, I have discovered I need to change
    ny right hand technique and phrasing.

13. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

1. The organ forum is a great suggestion -- so is Hammond wiki and capt foldback's site
    2. you can adjust the gain on the leslie -- there is a knob on the amp. Turn it up!
    3. you can adjust eq, percussion volume, and Output Gain on the Hammond preamp. These are small screwdriver adjustment screws on the preamp -- back of the organ.
    4. There are several ways to tap an external line out that doesn't involve a spending the money on a Trek. I'm not going to give you electrical advice over the internet, but you can easily find wiring diagrams on Hammond wiki. Basically you tap off the preamp -- its an easy 2 wires to a 1/4 female jack though I recommend you add a pot (25k?) to attenuate the signal but its not necessary.
    5. There is a RCA jack on your foot pedal casing. This is a line in and probably has a dead plug adapter. You can either, wire up a 1/4 in adapter to run other sources through the organ / leslie -- or you can flip some wires and use this point as a line-out (again go to Hammond wiki for diagrams)

Ive been through more than a few Hammonds -- every time the first thing I do is wire up an in/out box from the preamp and rca line in -- its easy and well worth the effort. I also put inline fuses on all transformers and update power cords to IEC.

Finally, if you cant solder, sell the organ as soon as possible.

jmoose and Moby Dick like this.
  14. gennation

gennation Member

To get that beefy. leaned-on sound distort the preamp of your amplifier like you would any other instrument.

15. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Such a great instrument, and I understand the Jon Lord love, but there are so many fantastic sounds available. Larry Young is a real favorite.

SnidelyWhiplash and jmoose like this.
  16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Fast forward to :50........

(Yes, I know it isn't a Hammond.....)

dougb415 likes this.
  17. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

My best buddy now has four B3's. He got back into music with my help about 8 years ago now and just keeps buying them. He has the dollies and bought a special trailer and actually takes his organs to his gigs all the time. The distortion should come natural from the Leslie tube amp, they are built that way! Floor the foot pedal! He has a new Leslie also, but it doesn't get that nice old Leslie distortion like the old ones.

18. b3l5tele

b3l5tele Supporting Member

I have posted this pic before, but since you asked, big fan of the mighty Hammond B3

[​IMG]

19. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm necro-bumping this thread because there's some information that needs clarification. There's an output pot within the Hammond pre-amp that's not visible. Remove the metal plug cover (pictured inside the red circle) and adjust the output pot contained within with a screwdriver.
    [​IMG]
    Normally, one would set the organ to normal output, full volume and adjust the pot until the desired "growl" is achieved. For Jon Lord, take it a step further.