Any Hardwire RV7 owners

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by windwalke9649, Feb 22, 2012.

1. windwalke9649

windwalke9649 Member

I need to get a reverb. Ive always used Holy Grails, they're simple, and sound good; but now I dont really want that big sheet metal box on my board, and i dont like the nano's.

Ive been checking out the RV7, and may order one (i can return it to a store if i dont like it, but its cheaper at a store in another state). Im apprihetious though. Im always very wary of customer reviews, especially on merchants websites. After you read enough of them; you get to get a reading on them; they give out signals. The same way dating did a few years ago when online dating was going mad, and id go on4 dates in a week; after a few, you learn to pick up sublte signs as to who's the psyco, who's probably privately nursing a drug habit, etc.
    The biggest thing im wary of are reviewers who havent had much experience with other pedals; they think everything is awesome. This jumped out when people compared it to the Boss RV5, and saying as good as the Boss was; this was better.

I owned a Boss RV5 for 2 weeks, played it for a couple days. It was just cold, icy, sterile, and IMO; if it didnt have the tone knob so i could dial back some highs; i wouldnt have used it for the couple days.

With that in mind; how are the Hardwires? I dont fly off into heaven on the wings of reverb; so dont need soaring features that others do, though i like having them there once in a while (I think id get more use out of the "reverse" on the reverb than i ever have on any delay).
    My only concern is tone, thats it; i dont care how it looks, power consumption, etc/ just let me know, if im happy with a Grail, but not a Boss, can i be okay with the Hardwire.

I know i should try something before i buy it; but its not going to happen, so give me your experience.

2. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

I have had it since december and REALLY like it. Went shopping for a natural-sounding Plate reverb at a good price and this is what works best for me (no, not interested in the Space, BSR or RRR). Tried HOF, EBS Dynaverb, WET and used to own the Verbzilla and the Boost RVB. I dont need any over-the-top super-wet reverbs/special FX. I play mostly rock/hard rock, so just give me a good plate reverb a la EVH and Im good.

FWIW I donĀ“t like Boss reverbs either.

3. Release

Release Member

I have one and I really like it. If I'm using reverb, I want to hear it. Nothing too subtle but not drowning either. The Hardwire has quite a few very usable modes that all sound good to me. You mentioned the reverse.... that's the only one I never use. It's 100% wet so you can't blend any of your dry signal in. Other than amp reverb, that's the only one I've ever tried so I can't compare it to the Holy Grail or RV5.

All that being said, I recently bought a WET and couldn't be happier. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Hardwire (and I'm keeping mine) but I fell victim to all the demos of the WET and couldn't resist. The Hardwire can do more but the WET does what it does better.

Overall, I think you would be happy with it. I've always thought the entire Hardwire line is a bit underrated.

4. windwalke9649

windwalke9649 Member

I owned a Ghost Echo before, and if I wanted a spring reverb; Id buy that again in a second. It sounded so real; i actually nudged it with my foot expecting that KRRAANNNG you get when a Fender Twin or Deluxe Reverb gets knocked into.
    I just want reverb now, something to fill in the space when i want it to. I had a HOLIER GRAIL, that was fantastic!, it had so many features, but most were to be advantagous to recording, like the gate; you could set it to attack/release fast for drums, thinks like that. It was just too damn big though; it was like having a turntable on my board.

5. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

I've got the RV7 as well as the Boss RV5.
    The RV7 is a great pedal IMO.
    Actually I prefer it on my acoustic board; I especially like the room, plate and hall settings. It is very natural sounding, adding a touch of depth to the sound, which is exactly what I was looking for with my acoustic.

It does sound good with my electric as well. But, I actually prefer my Boss RV5 for my electric! I mostly run it on room setting, with level around 2:00, tone around 10:00 and depth around 10:00, and it adds some nice flavor to my sound, while still cutting through in a live mix. And occasionally I dial in the Mod setting, which is just beautiful.

So, yeah, if you find the Boss to bright and sterile, I'd think the RV7 could be what you're looking for. It is much warmer and more natural sounding. Nothing really over the top for ambient spacey stuff, but just a great sounding selection of reverbs.

6. nape

nape Member

The RV-7 is good, natural sounding reverb. I leave it always on a light spring setting. Just curious, is the only reason you want to replace the holy grail for aesthetic purposes?

7. Jules

Jules Member

With your sister somewhere you wouldn't like
    Got one from Amazon just before Christmas - not only a fantastic pedal for the money but a fantastic pedal full stop. I also own a BSR and though it does not have quite the tweakabilty of that pedal it's a great sounding box and does a better spring reverb IMO. Well worth checking out.

8. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

I recently picked up the RV-7 and couldn't be happier. I had a Dr. Scientist RRR before, and I've had the Holy Grail before as well. Really liked the tone of the Grail, but I'm not all that crazy for EHX products. I went with the Hardwire mostly because it has stereo ins/outs. Also the price point was great. Lots of usable settings and IMHO great tone. I also don't need crazy reverb sounds, so any reverb bases I need covered are done very well by the RV-7.

9. modernp

modernp Member

Great pedal for the money. It stays on my board.

10. oxtone

oxtone Member

I've had an RV-7 for quite a while, and like it for the Hall and Plate settings. The Lexicon chip was what helped me buy it. I use it on my home practice board, and it sounds very good. My main board has a TC Hall of Fame, which also is good, but I'm G.A.S.ing badly for a Stereo WET Reverb!

I had a Holy Grail, and it was crap. It didn't sound very good, and the build quality was suspect - mine crapped out after a year of use. I wouldn't expect that with the RV-7, or Hall of Fame. Both seem to be made well.

11. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

The Hardwire line is quality, and the RV7 is no exception. Several reverbs selections, mix, decay, liveliness (brightness) setings, stereo, tank construction... good stuff.

12. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

Tried a lot of Reverb Pedals, and I LOVE the Hardwire. Versatile and durable!

13. ultradust

ultradust Member

Well worth the money, Digitech did it right this time.

The overall subtlety of the natural reverb tones is what makes it so usable, the plate and modulated reverb being my favorites. Viva Lexicon.

14. alvarete

alvarete Member

As others have said, it's a killer pedal for the money. Great sounds, versatile, built like a tank.

15. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I really like it, I have owned two - I went to a rack unit and then back to the RV7. Does what it is supposed to and really well. I have been flipping through some settings over the past few weeks and I think the plate does the best job in most applications (ie not getting in the way live), though the Hall sounds pretty fantastic as well.

16. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I owned an RV-7 for over a year, played it every day. Sold it within days of trying a Hall of Fame. Like the Hall of Fame so much I bought 2 of them. They are about the same price.

The RV-7 is pretty good. My complaints:

1) Don't care for the footswitch (sometimes it would take more than one click to turn it on/off
    2) The size HOF is noticeably smaller
    3) Doesn't get really wet.
    4) A bit on the dark side, and lacks a normal tone control to make it brighter
    5) One knob came off (and I'm very careful with my gear)
    6) Lack pre-delay function

The HOF has more reverb types, and some of them are rather useful, such as Ambience (which prob is not what you think...it is a SHORT reverb, like the reflection off of a cab short...very useful for subtle reverb)

For all the talk about it being built like a tank....I had two problems with mine. And I baby my gear.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  17. Cageman

Cageman Member

I own an RV7 for a pretty long time now and I really dig it. The liveliness knob it has, is a nice feature. You can create pretty trebly reverb with it, but roll back the liveliness and you got a warm natural one.

18. WoodyStrat

WoodyStrat Supporting Member

I have had one for 2 years now and I can't seem to replace it with anything. The last one I tried for fun was the Dr Scientist. Cool looking but it failed miserably sound wise. Great reverb.

19. kevingcp

kevingcp Member

I really don't like mine, I've had it for about 3 years now. I only use the reverse and modulate settings and even the modulate setting isn't that great. I now have a WET and Space on my board so the RV-7 is rarely on.

20. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

i keep mine on pretty much all the time, and don't really think about it as being VERBED at the time, just feels like im playing in a big space, which when i play at church and monitoring through headphones, helps me forget I'm using them. When i turn it off or unplug and replug in my board, i notice how dry everything is. It really helps to liven up a sound in a small room or help you blend into the room you are in.