Any help,, Subdecay Blackstar VS. Catalinbread SCOD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by recto-robbie, Feb 27, 2008.

1. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Ive been looking to add one last pedal to my board to be used as a stand alone distortion pedal. Ive found both of these two pedals very interesting and have listened to all the sound samples I can find. I like the sound of both.
    Im planning on using these pedals on the clean channel of a classic 50.
    Do you think one would work better used this way?
    Im not looking for death metal type gain but deffinatley high gain such as an 80's type high gain.
    Is the Blackstar an overly trebly type of sound???
    Is there anything that could be said good or bad comparing these two pedals directly to each other?
    Thanks for any help,,, makes it easier to drop the cash with a somewhat educated guess. Thanks again.

2. HBob

HBob Member

I have the Blackstar and it's pretty cool. I do keep the tone control turned all the way down. I run the top drive around 1 o'clock and the bottom one around 11 o'clock. This setting sounds the most natural to me. Like a cranked full stack with the tone set fairly dark. I also have the Liquid Sunshine and the Blackstar does kind of build on the distortion level that the LS has. The cool thing about this setting is that it can sound fairly brutal with power chords and also more "mannered" with lead playing. When you crank both drives it starts to sound like there's some fuzz going on too. It starts to get a little less amp-liike to my ears. I'm playing teles mostly.

3. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Standalone '80's drive/distortion: definitely the Black Star.
    Really one of my favourite pedals I don't own :drool

4. HBob

HBob Member

Good point on the BS being a stand alone pedal. It doesn't stack well but is good enough to not really need it.

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I owned an SCOD - its a pretty nice little overdrive. It has a nice "growl" to it that is harder to find. Lots of gain, fat sounding too.

My main problem with it was that the tone control wasn't that interactive. You can emphasize mids or de-emphasize them but it is quite subtle. Also, it is a pretty bright pedal (at least with my setup) and there is no way to tame the top end if you have a bright setup. The top end is a little harsh sounding.

Give it a 3-way EQ and you would have a serious contender!

6. erksin

erksin Member

That Contour control on the SCOD is akin to a negative feedback control - basically a loose/tight response sort of deal. It's not a tone control.

7. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I guess that would explain why the differences were subtle.