Any high-end fountain pen lovers on here?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by srf11, Apr 14, 2015.

1. srf11

srf11 Member

Not a very widely followed hobby, but I sure do love some of the beauties.

One of my own faves:

[​IMG]

2. newking70

newking70 Member

love montblanc & parker.

3. candh

candh Member

Yes...but I'm in the business.

4. radicool

radicool Member

No, I can't afford to have another expensive hobby. It would be dangerous for me because I know I'd get into it. But I do love the things, so I buy the cheap disposable one to write with.

5. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I have a Mont Blanc that was a gift from a previous employer. It isnt one of the super fancy ones, but it was well over $150. Kinda crazy that a pen could be so expensive.

I treat it like most people probably treat their Gibson R9s. I leave it at home and never take it any where for fear of it getting stolen.

6. feet

feet Supporting Member

like 35mm film, watches and old typewriters, pens- fountain and otherwise- are another largely useless item that i'm utterly fascinated by. when something so utilitarian is so pretty it no longer serves a purpose... i don't know. i can flip though those pen catalogs forever, and sometimes do. but i never buy. because i know better at this point. and honestly, i just have nothing to write. so its kind of easy to quell the urge.

Rimbaud likes this.
  7. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I have a modest collection. My favorites to write with are my Porsche TechFlex and my Visconti Homo Sapiens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hotmod

hotmod Member

I got a couple of Parker 51's which I love , my favorite is the cheaper 51 special.

9. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I've owned my Mont Blanc Roller since 1994 when I got married. I've used it exclusively to sign special/important documents.......and it's always brought me good luck:)

Rimbaud likes this.
  10. frankg11

frankg11 Member

Here are a few of mine: Stock Photos from a store but best way to show a fefew. P.S. I am left handed and went to a catholic school taught by nuns. Being left handed was not fun but a lay teacher in the seventh grade go me to use Fountain pens to help with my penmanship. been a user ever since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Frank Drebin threw the nicest one ever into the bottom of a tank of Lion Fish. That is my type of luck, so I have abstained so far. I do love the feel of a nice pen though.
    That Porsche one GAD posted is sick though. If you don't mind me asking, how much is one like that? I do love the feel of a nice pen.

Echoplexi likes this.
  12. frankg11

frankg11 Member

fishleehooker,

I have lost three of four pens on planes, trains and automobiles. And they were not cheap. The cost of a custom Strat comes to mind for the cost of the lost pens by comparison.

13. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Love the Naked Gun reference!

The Tech Flex pens come in different varieties. The silver ones are the least expensive, followed by the two-tone, with the all-black at the pinnacle.

These days the one shown is selling for ~$530 on Amazon. When I bought it, I think I paid $350.

The reason I love the Porsche pen is because it's heavy. A lot of people like light fountain pens, but I prefer something solid.

14. FeloniousBishop

FeloniousBishop Member

I have a Pilot Varsity and would like to try some other fountain pens that are one or two levels up from that.

I might like to try $10, $20, and $35 level pens - can anyone recommend any specific pens at those levels?

15. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I have an inexpensive Lamy Safari which is decent, but man I don't write much by hand anymore, can't really justify spending a lot on pens.

16. hotmod

hotmod Member

This is truly impressive, which brand/model is it?

17. frankg11

frankg11 Member

18. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I like to make them on a lathe with exotic woods. Mostly rollerballs and fountains.

Make great gifts.

Rimbaud, Peteyvee and marktweedy like this.
  19. Felix Leclerc

Felix Leclerc Member

Not ridiculously expensive but I use a Pilot Custom 823 with a modified nib by Mottishaw and a Pilot Custom 912 with a postal nib.

I write everyday with them. I can't write will a ballpoint pen...seems so barbaric. lol

20. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

:agree
    that would be my category too. i don't currently have one but once you are used to it, nothing looks as good as a signature done with a good fountain pen.