• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Any idea what kind of wood this might be?

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
This is my first electric - a Lori Les Paul copy I bought secondhand in 1987. It sounds good with these pickups - neck is a GFS Dream 90 and bridge is from a 1980 LP Standard.

Info on these is very scarce on the web. It appears they were a Sam Goody house brand but no clue who made it, or where, or out of what...?

In the switch cavity it looks like I can follow the grain lines from the top so it may be solid, or multipiece of sawn timer instead of cross-grain laminate plywood anyway. BUT - what kind of wood?

Because of the top and back binding I have more trouble telling whether the grain continues along the sides or if the sides are veneered. The neck grain looks less pronounced than the top and back, and has a few pinhole birdseye figures but little other grain that shows through.

Any ideers?

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
too light to be hog. Maple perhaps?
light = pale color (vs density) and hog = mahogany?

Something of Asian origin locally indigenous to the builder, probably, but local to where? Still don't know what company in what country actually built it under this name.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Note the light color and recessed grain around the pup sw cover plus the finished look of the back, indicates ash, to me. That applies only to the back, the rest remains indistinguishable from the pix.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Ash sounds about right. The grain looks a bit like a ball bat. The top looks similar to the back so the body is probably all one kind of wood. The neck looks different. Maybe maple neck and hard ash body. It can't be swamp ash because it is just about an anvil on a strap.

The rear pickup is actually a 498T. I got it mixed up because at one time I had a Duncan JB on it. It was an awful match so I traded the pickup to a guy who had a 1980 Les Paul, but instaled that pickup on a different guitar. A lot of players seem to like the SD JB on Gibsons and dislike the 498T on them so that sort of supports the idea that it is not mahogany or mahogany/maple.

When I bought it it had DiMarzios. Don't know if they were original, they didn't have any model number marked on them, and since I always had crap amps at the time, I don't even know if they sounded good on it. They were double cream with non-adjustable poles IIRC.

My Strat was ash (or Sen, or some Asian equivalent).

It also had a three-saddle bridge. Take that Glendale.

It was almost certainly Japanese- there weren't any Indonesian, Korean, or Chinese guitars- at least not looking like the Loris- in mall music stores that long ago.

The parent company (or distributor) was called "Global" (so they were most likely made on planet Earth).

Trending Topics