• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Any Idea Why My Amp Goes Intermittant at Gigs?

sideman

I love my fairly new Victoria Regal II tube amp. But for the last three gigs, after two or three songs it begins dropping out, no longer giving volume. There's nothing subtle about it. At first it's kind of intermittant, like a bad cord, but then there's nothing - I have to swap in a different amp. Any ideas?

Trout

The usual suspects apply,

Weak solder joint going intermittent when hot, or
Tubes.

If you have a known good EXTRA set of tubes, try swapping them out, if your lucky, nothing else will be wrong.
If its a solder joint, it might/will be a bit more difficult to locate unless you are a confident tech.

Austinrocks

a fan on the amp while playing, something we did with our PA amp to keep it from shutting down, and/or turn the amp off during breaks.

case4bass

How loud does the band play? any complaints from the bartender?
Most thermal problems are caused by high volumes and busy players.
No dynamics........drop the hammer.

dazco

Most likely reason if it has a series effects loop and you aren't using it is a dirty switching jack. Next time it does that patch a cable from the send to the return and see if that fixes it.

sideman

Well, after swapping out all the tubes as Trout suggested the problem went away. Now I have a bag with $100 of removed tubes in it and don't know which is the culprit. But it appears that (at least) one of the tubes caused the problem.

johnh

Changing out the tubes first is always a good idea in a tube amp. I'd be mortified to think that it was a bad joint in a hand wired amp like that, although nothing is ever impossible.

How do you like the amp by the way? The Regal II sounds pretty much like it would be my dream amp.

Trending Topics