Any Ideas Fellas?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bilbal, Aug 10, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

I sent this message to Mike at KCA also. I would like to get some opinions here as well. Please let me know what you think and how I may change this.

"I am wondering what I should do. I have a new Z Prescription ES head. I love it but I would like to get more gain from it (earlier) without using an attenuator.

What's happening is this: I recently bought a Creation Audio Labs MK 4.23 boost. When I use it with my Vox AC50, it boost but also slams the front end of the amp to give me a nice, smooth tube overdrive that I love. I also use it with my Soldano SLO and it does the same. That said, when I use it with my RxES, it doesn't give me the same outcome. It basically just increases the volume. That in itself is great but I would love to have it slam the front end of my RxES more and get that nice, natural, smooth overdrive. Is it a case of just swapping out the V1 in favor of a tube with more gain? Can you suggest something to me that may remedy the situation?"

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

What's it running in V1 right now? The 12AX7 that it normally comes with is gonna give you the most gain

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

I assume it has whatever 12AX7s Dr. Z uses but I don't know anymore than that because the amp is in the studio not at home right now. Are there different 12AX7s that have more inherent gain then others? I am such a novice at these types of things. I have been using tube amps for years but I never started really getting "into" them until I joined this place. I am trying to learn as I go. I remember a discussion I had with Michael Soldano awhile ago and he said that the idea is to get the cleanest, quietest, tube for V1 (regarding my SLO). That said, I figure there must be other tubes that will decrease the headroom and give me more punch - is that correct or am I not following already?

Along with getting my Dr. Z to perform like I want it to, I'm interested in understanding why and how it does and to be aware of other options.

Bill

EDIT: I WANT TO SAY Z USES GTs BUT I AM NOT CERTAIN.

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

5. bilbal

bilbal Member

As always, thank you Brian. I'll be talking to Mike soon hopefully.

Bill

6. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I'd Look at the Bias on the RX and put NOS 12ax7's ecc 83's in the pre try swapping the 12ax7 from the Z into the RX

it's possible the tube is on its way to the morgue
    btw ef86 is the highest gain 7 pin

7. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

BTW and EF86 is a 9 pin. It's also a completely different type of tube and not interchangeable at all with a 12AX7. And saying it is the highest gain 9 pin tube isn't exactly true.

Comparing pentodes and triodes for gain factors is like comparing a pogo stick and stilts on which one will get you to Milwaukee faster.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If your slamming the front end with a boost the gain "variations" of the 12AX7's your using shoulding matter all that much. Some 12AX7's have slightly earlier break up characteristics(not to be confused with gain) and they possibly may help. Sylvania short grey plates are my fave for earlier break up. RFT's are known for this to but I dont like thier lack of clarity.
    I suppose you could have a weak 12AX7 in there too. I keep a few old stock 12AX7's on hand just in case.;) Bob

9. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

A boost pedal is not what you need with your amp.The other amps are driven into overdrive because the circuits are different.Tubes will not help you.You need a good distortion pedal.

"I am wondering what I should do. I have a new Z Prescription ES head. I love it but I would like to get more gain from it (earlier) without using an attenuator.

What's happening is this: I recently bought a Creation Audio Labs MK 4.23 boost. When I use it with my Vox AC50, it boost but also slams the front end of the amp to give me a nice, smooth tube overdrive that I love. I also use it with my Soldano SLO and it does the same. That said, when I use it with my RxES, it doesn't give me the same outcome. It basically just increases the volume. That in itself is great but I would love to have it slam the front end of my RxES more and get that nice, natural, smooth overdrive. Is it a case of just swapping out the V1 in favor of a tube with more gain? Can you suggest something to me that may remedy the situation?"

"I would like to get more gain earlier" It's all about pre-amp gain.Try a tube screamer or Boss DS-1

10. bilbal

bilbal Member

That's what I thought was going to be the answer to my problem. Thanks. I beat it up with my Fuchs Valve Job!!!

Z's amps are pretty much at full playability when you receive them. I kinda like the idea that i don't screw with perfection just like my SLO!!!

Thanks guys!!

11. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Yes Adam you are right it is a 9 pin and not the same type of tube put its gain is the highest.

Didn't mean to send your orbit out of trajectory

this however remains Sound advice

12. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

There are other tubes that actually have more gain to them than an EF86, that are also nine pins, and that also will not work in this situation. (especially if we are talking about measuring transconductance as a form of gain factor, rather than the mu factor that most triodes are rated at).

Other forms of tube swaps are a good idea, if one of his tubes is going bad.