Any ideas for the best 20w or less amp w/built-in reverb for a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jkaffenb, Jan 9, 2006.

1. jkaffenb

jkaffenb Guest

Hi,
    I am currently on the search for an amp for my Les Paul. I only play at home and am not in a band and want the amp to have built-in reverb, preferrably be a 1x12 combo and have a great drive channel without having to use pedals for rock tones.

I have been considering a Cornford Carrera, Fuchs 20w ODS, and several other smaller amps, but am looking for ideas and again, specifically to sound great with a Les Paul and for Rock.....not metal. The most gain I would ever need would be Gary Moore "Still Got the Blues".

Again, I only play at home and am a hobbyist, so competing with a band for volume isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

18 watt Invader or 12 watt Tomcat all you need.

3. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

+1 Invader, Reverb, enough gain, Great attenuator for home playing, and it will hang with a band

4. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

5. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Perfect suggestion dbeeman, Demo one, I think you will agree:AOK

6. kselbee

kselbee Member

Zinky Blue Velvet.

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

20 watts at home will kill you. Unless you have a place to crank it, otherwise it's not going to bring you the love. If you need ideas grab Guitar Player this month; they review some great low wattage amps. I'd say keep it under 10 watts and find something that can vary the power even lower for home playing. Less watts and you'll be able to drive it and have some fun with pedals. The Carr Mercury is a gem but it's $$$$.

8. Lamont

Lamont Member

My vote goes for the Matchless Spitfire.Hands down to be the best of the 18 watters ive tried.Simple ,,Master vol--vol--and one tone.Simplicity, like a 5e3 tweed deluxe ,,,and that another good one as well.Both are real good choices. OOOPS , im editing out the deluxe for lack of reverb---substitution --(go on get in there!!!!)Super champ..:eek: :YinYang :eek: :YinYang :eek: :YinYang :eek:

9. khudson

khudson Member

Another vote for the Matchless Spitfire. I was over Jason Barker's (Steelbender) last night and that amp sounded great! Sweet tone at a very decent level.

10. HHB

HHB Member

you should investigate the Tech21 brand and save lots of cash

11. Lifewithoutpain

Lifewithoutpain Member

Mesa Lonestar Special. It comes in a 1x12 combo, has killer cleans and a versitile drive channel, takes pedals very well and is variable from 30w -> 15w -> 5w.

12. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Here's a 2nd on the Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special 1 x 12. With the 5/15/30 flexibility, it will give you great tube tone at relatively low volumes.
    The reverb is as good as my Vibro King.