Any info on Godin H.D.R circuit?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluediamond, Jan 25, 2015.

1. bluediamond

bluediamond Member

I played a godin velocity a few years ago, I really like their HDR ("high definition revoicer"). It was a small push-push button next to the tone knob. What it did it added a small amount of output, and IIRC improved clarity and tightened up the bass.
    What are they actually? Can I get same effect from aftermarket boost circuit (emg afterburner, artec, etc.) or perhaps some kind of on board buffer ?

2. xinu

xinu Member

I have a Godin Icon Convertible with the HDR button. I don't have any other info that what is on Godin's web site. I think you are on to what it does referring to a boost pedal with EQ.

I really don't use the HDR button much. But I do find it useful when switching from the P-rails P90s to single coils to bring the single coil levels back up into the P90 range. I also think HDR helps clean up the P-rail bucker mud. The HDR also eliminates any tone loss when using the guitar volume.

3. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Wanted to bump this to see if anyone has info on this circuit. I have a Godin Summit CT and I find the HDR a great tool. To my ear the Seymour Duncans in the neck and bridge are both a bit vintage and a tad scooped sounding - an excellent tone. Engagning the HDR makes them more middy and modern sounding. To me the best of both worlds. It allows me to go from Pearly Gates to JB tones in the bridge especially.

I'm asking because I would like to add a similar circuit ti my strat. I have vintage output SD pickups in there too and want to add a circuit that is just a push button that wont give me an enormous boost, just a slight one that can "re-voice" the pickups. Think going from Vintage to overwound Texas style single coils.

Thanks!

Cal Webway likes this.
  4. Julio Iguana

Julio Iguana Member

The Alembic “stratoblaster” might meet your need. They were made in the 70’s and were a drop-in conversion. A 9VDC battery fit under the pots and the unit replaced the jack-plate. It came with wire nuts (no soldering) and has a mini-toggle on/off. The real nice part is a recessed gain screw adjuster for both neg & pos dB.

eriwebnerr likes this.
  5. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Thanks Julio! - interesting idea - I'll check it out.

Julio Iguana likes this.
  6. Julio Iguana

Julio Iguana Member

Just joined this forum yesterday & don’t have the savvy yet! I just purchased a Godin Summit Convertible. I also was looking for more info on the HDR. So far I’m straddling the fence on it. I haven’t been able to play it at louder volumes. It sounds thin and buzzy but maybe when I can crank it up I’m hoping it will sound better. I looked in the control cavity and I didn’t see any adjustment. Maybe if I use a weaker battery it might smooth out at lower volume.

7. Matt McGriff

Matt McGriff Member

If you scroll to 11:35 in the video below, Robert Godin shows an HDR circuit. Doesn’t really explain it, but at least shows shows it. I have a Session Plus on the way. Looking forward to the HDR.

Julio Iguana likes this.