Any info on Kramer Focus Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JWR, Jul 24, 2008.

1. JWR

JWR Member

I just picked up a Kramer Focus 2000. Banana neck and original Floyd Rose, 2 p/u. Anyone have any wisdom on these guitars? seems to have a nice neck and plays nice. Stock pickups are not my cup of tea though.

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

They are pretty nice guitars. During the Kramer craze, they offered the Striker Series at the low end and the Focus Series as an intermediate guitar. You can usually get them for a good price, and they are a good value if you like that type of guitar.

3. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

I had a Striker 100ST when I was in high school. I wish i still had it, plywood body and all. Were the Focus series plywood as well?

4. JWR

JWR Member

This one is in quite good shape, cost about $200. I wanted the Floyd. The body appears to be the same wood as a Fender HM I have from the early '80's as well. Same jap factory I think. Neck is a nice surprise.

5. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

6. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Basswood most likely.

I really love the old banana headstock necks. I just won one on eBay Tuesday.

7. JWR

JWR Member

Is the basswood light in color with little grain? Both the bodies appear to be the same wood.

8. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Yup.

9. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

What are you into? I've found the Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon to be excellent in Floyd equipped basswood guitars. If you're not familiar with it, don't let the name fool you. There's nothing screamin' or demon about it. It's a medium output 'bucker that doesn't sound so great in a lot of guitars so it kinda gets a bad rap, but in basswood it sounds phenomenal if you're not looking for super hot high output. It's extremely articulate.

10. JWR

JWR Member

Been through 'em all (with my single p/u Fender HM same factory) came with an invader, then Full Shred, EMG 81, Screamin' Demon, Bill & Becky L500L, High Order, '59, Air Norton and finally the '78. In order I personally liked the "78 then the '59 then the demon.

I'm really thinking I'll put actives in it.

11. JWR

JWR Member

any idea who made the stock humbuckers in those instruments? Kind of a textured coil black screws and dark studs, pretty trebly.

12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I still have the one I rocked circa 1985.

It's in pieces, but still kicking around somewhere in the house.

13. doc

doc Member

I picked up one from my local pawn emporium awhile back and think its pretty good for the money expended. I'm impressed by the difference between the original Floyd and others I have - I keep thinking I'll transplant that one to my Robin as an upgrade. I don't care for the humbucker at all, but the single coils aren't bad. I had planned to use it as a parts guitar, but once I got it strung and set up a bit I decided it was a pretty good guitar on its own. I may throw an Anderson pickup I have laying around into it. This would be a great axe to but EMGs into.

14. JWR

JWR Member

Yep, surprising quality for cheap

15. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Those pickups are Duncan Designed. I scored a Kramer Focus 1000 (modded for three pickups) back in September at Guitar Center for $175. Dimarzio Super Distortion was in there too, as well as the Original Floyd! If you ask me, it was a screaming deal.

It's one of my top players.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Can be great guitars, although lots of them have been SERIOUSLY abused. They were built in Japan in their hey-day as the high-end alternative to US production. I recall the pickups being thin and harsh, but any decent replacement pickup should improve things. A Duncan JB or 59 would be a very good choice: enough bite for hard rock/metal but flexible enough to sound good...

17. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Yep, I've got one loaded with a JB and it sounds KILLER. The previous owner modded mine for a neck pickup (and for some reason put the Super Distortion there), but I plan on replacing it with a '59.