Any J-Drive users here?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by David-R, Dec 27, 2009.

1. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I just picked up a Diamond J-Drive in a smooth trade with fellow Gear-pager Tweak. This is the version before they added the treble booster (i.e. it's not a J-Drive TR or Mk3). The warmth control seems work well adding fatness and girth to bridge pickups.

Any users here that would care to comment on their experiences with this pedal? Also, I'm curious how the drive section of this pedal differs from the Mk3.

[​IMG]

2. David-R

3. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

Been looking to trade for one of those myself. I've had both your version and the Mk3 and sold them for 'the next best thing'. It's an awesome pedal. I used it to hit my amp with the clean boost for harder rhythm sounds and with the OD side for nice warm and smooth lead stuff that can be dialed in for just the right amount of bite to cut through. One of the better built pedals I've seen as well.

4. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    bump - i'm curious too. i had a j-drive TR that i foolishly sold and miss it. i think it's a sleeper pedal and the warmth knob is unique but effective.

what i liked best about the drive channel is that there was nice string-to-string note definition even when playing complex chords or just chords in general.

5. David-R

I had a chance to try out the J-Drive at band practice last night. I used the drive channel for heavily overdriven tones (the gain was cranked to about 3:00) with my H1 Tele bridge pickup (Rio Grande Dirty Harry) into a Peavey Classic 30 clean channel at fairly low volume. I used the boost to enhance and increase the volume of my clean tone.

My first impressions are of the overdrive channel are:
    1. Very nice harmonically rich overdriven tones, was on the verge of feedback, in a good way, a number of times
    2. Cleans up okay with the gain almost maxed out - it's not clean when you roll back the guitar volume but it does become cleaner and less loud
    3. Plenty of girth and thickness due to the warmth control - worked well for me with the single coil bridge pickup
    4. String definition was excellent when playing chords
    5. It felt a bit "stiff" compared to some of my other pedals; by stiff I mean not as spongy as for example as my high gain eternity (E6), maybe that means it has less compression
    I also spent a little time with the boost. When engaged with the drive channel almost maxed out you get more gain and more cut (presence?) but very little volume increase (which was what I expected). When I ran the boost by itself my clean tone was louder and had some added sparkle although the sparkle could simply have been due to the volume increase.

Overall I liked it with the Tele and am going to use it in our 5 song set Sunday morning.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  6. David-R

The more time I spend with the J-Drive the more I like it! :)

7. Hovercraftpilot

Hovercraftpilot Member

Hi all new here.
    I was about to play a few songs for a mini show. I played through someone else's rig (JTM60) and they had a Diamond J Drive.I absolutely loved it!

After my set ended I had to have one.
    Got rid of the SD Twin Tube and bought it. The Twin Tube is good but for me too hard to control, Fuzzy and heavy.

I am starting to look at thier compressor. I have this reggae song thing happening
    Think of D'yer maker meets The Sign (Ace of Bass). To my ears I am the sloppiest
    part. Would the Diamond compressor give me a consistant “chink” sound?

This is debatable but sometimes the more expensive stuff can save you money.

8. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I just ordered a J-Drive yesterday. The Diamond comp is so great I figured I should try another Diamond product, and love trying out OD's.

9. Hovercraftpilot

Hovercraftpilot Member

Thanks Madison I guess that the way to go. Diamond again. Just have to wait for my birthday to
    “Justify” another purchase on ye’ old credit card.

I really like J drive I can control it unlike the Twin Tube. I have the warmth knob at 9 o’clock
    drive is at 3 and volume at 2 hope all go’s well when you get it.

10. t-rey

t-rey Member

Has anyone compared the Jdrive to a Barber LTD? If so, how did they compare, which did you prefer, etc.?

11. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

The Barber LTD 'SR' is my favorite medium gain OD right now, I've been using it a lot and it's knocked many an OD off my pedal board. The J-Drive has its work cut out!:bow

12. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

I've been debating the J-drive for a couple of weeks now. After reading through this thread I think I'm going to order it tonight!

13. David-R

I've owned an original LTD and a Silver LTD (not the new v2 or SR). My J-Drive has more gain and the tone is darker and thicker than the Barber pedals. While the J-Drive doesn't have a big mid hump, there is definitely some tonal coloration going on that you probably won't get with the SR. That may or may not be what you're looking for. I've been using the J-Drive more for medium gain (anywhere from 12:00 to 3:00 on the gain control) so I haven't spent much time with it in the low gain settings. I think the Barber pedals excel at low gain.