Any JCM800 type owners w/Effects all out front?

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
i actually have a Splawn Quick Rod and am trying to keep cables and set up to a minimum live.

I run a few different drive/fuzz/OD's, chorus, delay and verb. Is it still better to run my mod, delay and verb through the loop. Is it going to sound like poop up front if the gain is set to low. I mean set to a light crunch at best.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
You can do it, but you have to come they reset the mix in your time based FX- delay, reverb and possibly chorus (if it's analog, time based chorus, yes. If it's digital pitch modulated chorus, maybe not. Placement on chorus matters as well as in if it's early or later in the chain).

Don't be surprised if the delay and the reverb mix is set to as low as only 10% "wet" and the repeats on the delay set low as well. What would normally on a clean amp be only one or two repeats could easily be a 5 or 6 repeat setting when in front. It's because the delays are obviously being amplified with the gain.

So yeah, it can be done. It doesn't sound exactly the same, especially reverb as the reverb will be distorted itself regardless of the mix settings. But it's can still sound awesome.

In one of my "clean" type pedal boards I imitate this by having an OD after the reverb. It can create some huge ethereal sounds with the mix set high.

Last edited:
How "clean" would you say your base tone is?
Depends. I've had luck with it cranked with an analog delay in front. Sounds great like that.

I've ran it just slightly broken up with a bogner red, a tc x4, and a tc trinity reverb in front. Sounded good that way too.

The second way felt like I was cheating the amp in a way. It sounds so good cranked. Using the red sounded good and allowed me to do some cool stuff, but I prefer the cranked sound more. So it's OD and delay out front.

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
Depends. I've had luck with it cranked with an analog delay in front. Sounds great like that.

I've ran it just slightly broken up with a bogner red, a tc x4, and a tc trinity reverb in front. Sounded good that way too.

The second way felt like I was cheating the amp in a way. It sounds so good cranked. Using the red sounded good and allowed me to do some cool stuff, but I prefer the cranked sound more. So it's OD and delay out front.
Yeah I like cranking my amp as well. I'll have to just experiment I suppose.

Black_Label

I feel like using a jcm800 as a clean platform is such a waste. It's SUCH a great overdrive sound - no pedals needed. I dial in my 800 for the dirty sound I want, use my vol knob for cleans, put a fuzz out front and put everything else in the loop.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I only don't like reverb in front of that kind of amp. Everything else sounds good to me up there.

Edit: I rely on amp distortion mainly, with ODs kicked in for more gain.

Last edited:

skiprehab

You can do it, but you have to come they reset the mix in your time based FX- delay, reverb and possibly chorus (if it's analog, time based chorus, yes. If it's digital pitch modulated chorus, maybe not. Placement on chorus matters as well as in if it's early or later in the chain).

Don't be surprised if the delay and the reverb mix is set to as low as only 10% "wet" and the repeats on the delay set low as well. What would normally on a clean amp be only one or two repeats could easily be a 5 or 6 repeat setting when in front. It's because the delays are obviously be amplified with the gain.

So yeah, it can be done. It doesn't sound exactly the same, especially reverb as the reverb will be distorted itself regardless of the mix settings. But it's can still sound awesome.
Pretty much this. My practice amp is a JCM1C and I found that some effects sound like crap in front of it when it's cranked, mainly reverbs. Luckily I found that Tech21 Boost RVB and my favourite Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb sounds pretty good in that setup, but the mix is definitely lower than if they would be in the loop. Same goes for MP Deep Blue Delay.

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
Fargen Olde 800 without loop here. I run it at the edge/ever so slight crunch with delay and flange out front. Plus lots of fuzz and drive out front. No complaints.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I feel like using a jcm800 as a clean platform is such a waste.
It is better than using a Twin Reverb and trying to find the right distortion.

I am using a JCM800 2204 and getting great tones on the the low channel on half-gain. Why? I am a pedal builder and I need a great common platform to test my pedals.

But for gigging I want recommendations for the best sounding overdrive to emulate the tube Marshall pre-amp. I know it seems counter-intuitive but I don't want to have to crank up my amp - i just want a great sounding overdrive to push it really hard for a great lead solo tone.

I have all kinds of great cleaner tones already (compressor, EQ, TS808 boost, Love Pedal on low gain, chorus and delay). By the way, I added a spring reverb to the amp to avoid the constantly changing reverb level problem. It is connected to an effects loop - but I do not want to access the loop for anything else.

Please - give me Overdrive recommendations for a clean JCM800. By the way - I have tried Wampler Ecstasy and Pinnacle - both close but not quite. Many others are great, but I want the best.

EDIT: I mostly play dual humbucker high output guitars; Les Paul and PRS. I like classic rock & blues - lots of sustain but not too much hair.

Black_Label

Marshalls have my favorite clean tone and is my favorite platform for a pedal.
I agree. A clean JTM45 is one of the nicest sounds in the world. The 800 is great clean but just sounds so good cranked up that I have a hard time turnin it down!

Black_Label

It is better than using a Twin Reverb and trying to find the right distortion.

I am using a JCM800 2204 and getting great tones on the the low channel on half-gain. Why? I am a pedal builder and I need a great common platform to test my pedals.

But for gigging I want recommendations for the best sounding overdrive to emulate the tube Marshall pre-amp. I know it seems counter-intuitive but I don't want to have to crank up my amp - i just want a great sounding overdrive to push it really hard for a great lead solo tone.

I have all kinds of great cleaner tones already (compressor, EQ, TS808 boost, Love Pedal on low gain, chorus and delay). By the way, I added a spring reverb to the amp to avoid the constantly changing reverb level problem. It is connected to an effects loop - but I do not want to access the loop for anything else.

Please - give me Overdrive recommendations for a clean JCM800. By the way - I have tried Wampler Ecstasy and Pinnacle - both close but not quite. Many others are great, but I want the best.

EDIT: I mostly play dual humbucker high output guitars; Les Paul and PRS. I like classic rock & blues - lots of sustain but not too much hair.
I haven't tried it yet, but the most intriguing cranked marshall pedal, to me, is probably the Alexander Jubilee.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I haven't tried it yet, but the most intriguing cranked marshall pedal, to me, is probably the Alexander Jubilee.
Thank you, I will look into it. I am not familiar. Can I get more recommendations ???

{Edit} - I looked it up and it is a Marshall in a box, which sounds kind of crazy when you are playing a marshall, but do have a Wampler Plexi pedal that does have a lot more gain than a real plexi that sounds pretty good with my 2204. Especially with the deep switch on.

Last edited:

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I am not sure, but I think I may have stated my question the wrong way - I am not just looking for a Marshall sounding pedal (although I am not against it) - I am looking for any overdrive that sounds great when plugged into a Marshall JCM800 (2204)

DonaldDemon

I've tried using delay/verb in front of my Splawn Pro Mod and it is doable but it doesn't sound very good IMO. It's SOOOO much better in the loop and those amps have nice clean sounding loops. Splawns are aggressive too, a little more mids than your typical 800. I've had better luck using effects in front of a real 800 instead of the Splawn.

I highly suggest you take advantage of that great efx loop. Here's what I do to make set up easier: Get your pedalboard to amp and 2 effects loop cables bundled together in a snake, using Tech Flex and large heat shrink for each end. Takes about 15 minutes to assemble. Get the effects loop cables about 1-2 feet longer on each end so you have room to reach the appropriate jacks. Order efx loop cables with two colored ends (heat shrink) or tape..whatever makes it easier to distinguish which is send & return. I use right angle jacks on the pedalboard end and straight on the amp end for all cables. Now you have all cables you need easily accessible. Setup takes me about 10 seconds longer than guitar->board->amp.

jimijimmyjeffy

This is a critical topic for me, as I love plate reverb, and there is not a faithful plate reverb that reliably sounds good in loops. It's driving me nuts to not be able to achieve my sound goal here, at any price, and I'm not unwilling to spend. Have been trying to achieve a close live approximation of a vintage 60s-70s recorded sound. To get the reverb last, where it needs to be, I have to run everything in front, even though I paid a lot of money for a (now useless) state of the art Metro loop.

Last edited:

Trending Topics