Any Jethro Tull fans here?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wrxplayer, Feb 6, 2011.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I'm a big fan. First five albums could all quality as a "desert island album", IMO.

Here's a great 10 minutes for you (ending is not good, but ruin what precedes it):

2. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Major fan here. Perhaps criticized and not for everyone due to the flute being less rock n' roll, IMO it is brilliantly crafted music to my ears.

3. mrmurph

mrmurph Member

...since the early 70s.....

I saw them twice during the Aqualung tour and was blown away both times. A great band.

4. Twangmaster

Twangmaster Member

First concert I ever saw was Tull... and they were the Opening Act! Mountain was the Headliner. a Great Show.

5. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I'm listening to "Bursting Out" and came upon this thread... simply some of the greatest music ever made.

6. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

This Was, Benefit and Stand Up are three of my all time favorite Tull albumns.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Aqualung was a masterpiece and a formative album for me, but all of their music was trendsetting and creative. A key group in the progression of rock. They were all great musicians, but Ian Anderson is near genius.

8. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

big one here...followed them from "This Was" till around "Roots to Branches -which i didn't like too much"

9. rongtr1

rongtr1 Member

Saw them live on a DirectTV concert-they sounded great, including Martin Barre, who was playing a strat with two humbuckers.

10. hellbender

hellbender Member

The first two only.

11. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

I intravenoused Minstrel in the Gallery in my early twenties. Some of the best electric guitar tone and playing ever recorded.

Songs From the Woods might be the best album ever.

And like 'em or hate 'em, Tull wrote the book on concept albums

I've gotten used to Ian's antics on the live clips, but its a special and rare moment when he get's serious on stage.

It's too bad they didn't have just a couple more big rock anthems to put the band over the top in legend and pop culture, but maybe it's better that they ended up the cult favourites they are.

12. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

Major fan. Beautifully crafted music. So sorry I never saw them live. I'd rather see them than the Stones.

13. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

14. jwny72

jwny72 Member

15. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Some of the best music ever discussed here in the "Sound" forum.

And I have loved them all the more because the intelligentsia/rock-critic elite largely dissed them.

16. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Supporting Member

Huge fan, grew up listening to them as I'm only 29. I like the first five albums, but after that the production sound of the albums changed and while the music wasn't much different, I just can't get past the different sound of the albums.

17. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

One of my favorite bands of all time. My dad raised me on those albums and they became a huge influence on me as a musician and songwriter. I'm too young to have seen them in their prime, but I still try to get out to see Tull, or Ian Anderson solo whenever they come around. They still put on a great show!

18. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Incredible talent in that band. I saw the original band when they were the warm up act for Chuck Berry!!! Talk about incongruous, LOL!! Anyway I loved their first 3 albums in particular but gradually lost interest as they evolved. Still lots of respect and admiration for Ian Anderson and the band. They were real innovators at back then.

19. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I remember when they were groundbreaking and truly excellent. I will never forget seeing them live in 1970 for the first time....

20. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Hard to know what a band could do better than they did. Extremely effective vision and leadership from Ian Anderson (a critical and often-overlooked commodity), high levels of musicianship over a period of about 40 years, truly groundbreaking in exploration and incorporation of divergent genres and instruments (lutes and flutes, tin whistles, are you kidding me!?), lyrics that are just unmatched for sheer literacy in expression, and the individual virtuosity of Ian and Martin Barre.

They don't get mentioned anywhere near as much as I think they merit on the short list of all-time great rock bands.