Any JHS Mini Foot Fuzz pedal users here?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mcknigs, Apr 18, 2016.

1. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

Picked one of these up at a pawn shop Saturday. I couldn't try it so I bought it with the understanding I could return it if it didn't work. It works, but it's a little strange. I tried it with a P-90 equipped guitar. Turning the fuzz knob below 9 o'clock turned the sound off. Similarly, turning the fuzz all the way up, then turning the volume down on the guitar could cause it to cut out completely. I can think of a couple reasons it might act this way:

1) they want you to be able to get that spitty, low-input level sound that's just at the verge of cutting out and to be able to get it even with high output pickups, and this results in a prety big range of cutting out when using lower output pickups; or

2) it's broke.

I watched a few YouTube reviews of the pedal. None of them mentioned this "feature," but none of them included a demonstration of what the pedal sounded like with the fuzz level turned down below 9 o'clock either.

Anyone know whether this is normal behavior for this pedal?

I'm inclined to use it with the knob all the way up and control the amount of fuzz/spit with the guitar's volume knob. It sounds pretty decent when it's at 3 o'clock or higher. I wasn't impressed with the low input spitty sound, compared to other fuzzes I own.

2. smokehouse4444

smokehouse4444 Supporting Member

I don't recall the sound completely cutting out, but yes, when you turn the fuzz knob to the left it will start getting the gated/spitty sound. I'm slowly reworking a micro board, and I wanted the fuzz to be really huge with the gated capability.

I bought a Fuzzolo, and man that thing is ferocious, but just TOO gated...you work it with your guitars volune knob. Sold it and picked up the Foot Fuzz and am fairly happy with it.

3. mcknigs

What kind of pickups are you using it with?

4. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Hey! With the fuzz down it is meant to be spitty. If you can mail it in we will look it over and cover any issues for free. All JHS pedals have a lifetime no questions asked warranty EVEN if you buy it used. repairs@jhspedals.com

5. dean owens

dean owens Member

It's posts like this that makes me see why a select few just don't like y'all and slam all your pedals.

:sarcasm

In all seriousness... that's nice of y'all. I wish more companies did that.

coltonius likes this.
  6. voxylady

voxylady Member

Got one recently and love it. Love the spittery, sputtery sounds. Using HBers, single coils, and P90s with it

7. mcknigs

Thanks for the response. And I appreciate the offer. :) I've also been persuing this question via email with John P. at JHS. Unfortunately what I've learned here and with John doesn't exactly address my question.

The reponse here is that it's supposed to be spitty when turned down, which I knew. The response from John was that if you turn the fuzz level all the way down, like turning the guitar volume to zero, the pedal will not pass a signal. I would have suspected this.

My actual question/issue is this: As I turn the fuzz level down to a certain level it gets spitty (as designed). As I continue turning the fuzz level down to 9 o'clock or so it cuts out entirely. I haven't turned it all the way down -- there's plenty of room left on the knob. I suspect that's by design -- that a guitar with hotter pickups would move the spit point to a spot more counter-clockwise on the dial, so there has to be a point where it just plain cuts out for low-output pickups, otherwise there might not be a spit point for the higher-output pickups. Put another way, I've heard this style of fuzz refered to as a gated fuzz, so it makes sense that below a certain input level it doesn't clean up, it just fails to open the gate.

Or not. :) Maybe there is something wrong with it. In any case for the money I paid for it, it's not worth it to me to send it in. It sounds good and I can make it work fine as it is. I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity at this point.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. :)

8. mcknigs

Just wanted to followup, for the sake of anyone who might find this thread in the future, to say that I heard back from JHS to say that my pedal is functioning as it's expected to. So if you buy one and it works like mine, it's not broken.

There was no comment on the legitimacy of my theory as to why it would be designed that way but it makes sense to me so I'm sticking wit it. :)

9. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

10. mcknigs