• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any Jim Croce Fans?

jimijimmyjeffy

Big fan. He was one of my go to artists when I was doing singer-songwriter stuff, along with Leonard Cohen. Solid, satisfying, classic songs throughout his catalog. They are also kinda fun on guitar, and don't require you to sing like Freddie Mercury. Lyrics are very solid.

I think his short life caused him to be overlooked by a lot of people, but I think he is one of the great songwriters. Hard to categorize him, sort of. Popular and folky but far from cheezy.

Last edited:

Bluedano1

Big part of growing up in the '70's in HS, listening to Jim on the radio, while at the same time learning how to play guitar ( I started on acoustic).
I went to a boarding HS and even though I did not know it at the time, I was kind of going in a R&R/blues direction as far as guitar jamming/learning. But a guy named Dave came to our school in our Senior year, armed with an Ovation and a lot of Jim Croce songs he knew. He was much more sophisticated than me as he knew how to move more complicated ( to me) Barre chords like major and minor 7ths up and down the neck (as these were used in JC' s music)- taught me this stuff and I showed him Country runs and blues bending! Fond of this time

Blooby

Just worked up "I Got a Name" last week for my acoustic duo. Really dug his voice.

Jaddy

I'd put his greatest hits cassette on when I was in University as part of my seduction attempts. I'm not sure it worked all that well.

OddJobb

It seem all the Greats get taken too soon, big guy upstairs has one hell of a band playin up there!!

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
That would be a big YES. Are you kidding me. That man's voice is golden and his sensibility is so ingrained in who I am and what we all were in the 70s. My parents were surely playing him when I was a seed.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a fan. Saw him perform once as the opening act for Woody Allen's standup show at the Valley Music Theater in Woodland Hills in 1972.

RobertMiller

Phenomenal talent - get teary eyed every time I Got a Name comes on the radio - “and I carry it with me like my daddy did”.......

iGouger

Let me pour a little bit of water on the Croce lovefest. I don't want to be a Croce-basher; I used to listen to his music quite a bit... it's just that the majority of his library feels dated to me. IMO it's not standing the test of time and just seems old. "Time in a Bottle" (yuck) feels like it should be in a doggone Mary Poppins movie, or something. Are there exceptions? Of course there are... "Leroy" or "Jim" comes on and you can't help but sing along. But those exceptions are few and far between. Side note: Croce's in San Diego is pretty awesome.

Ed Packer

Silver Supporting Member
the majority of his library feels dated to me. IMO it's not standing the test of time and just seems old."

I don't know - I've had more than one twenty-something singer come to my open mics and play note-for-note versions of Croce songs, to my surprise. So, his music does seem to stand up well....

tnvol

Ufologist
Silver Supporting Member
My mother was a huge fan. I got a steady stream of him when I was growing up.

nlopez

Silver Supporting Member
Dreaming Again and These Dreams are two of my favorite ballads. A Long Time Ago rivals any story other songwriters have told

Trending Topics

Top Bottom