Any Jimmy Vaughn Strat Owners Here?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BSHARP, Jan 26, 2006.

1. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I'm out to buy a new Strat. I've picked out a few to try and I'm wondering how you like your Jimmy Vaughn Strat. Sound off!

2. rbuono

rbuono Member

It's a very very nice guitar. It's my second strat and since I bought the first one 20 years ago before I could really play, I don't have another to compare it to but.... compared to my LP and my Tele - it's kicking serious butt and it has brought something out in my playing I never knew was there. I love it.

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Probably not the best sounding Strat I've ever played....but definitly the best bang for the buck Strat. Feel & playability are excellent....I can actually set the action too low on my JV with no fret buzz, but I had to raise the action for better feel. IMO, a stock JV Strat will hold its own with many higher end Strats.

4. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

I have one, and I think it's great! I needed a not-too-expensive way to get a Strat in my lineup, and this really fits the bill. I love the bigger than normal neck and frets, and it sounds great to me (though some don't like the pickups). It's definitely a guitar where you should go through a few of them to find the best one - there's some variance in build quality, especially with regard to neck pocket fit.

5. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Just picked up a white one yesterday. It's my 2nd strat in a week. I originally left Guitar Center with a John Mayer, but I couldn't stop thinking about how nice it played so I figured what the hell it's not that much $$.

Both of these strats I have to say are the best I've played and I'm comparing these to an American Deluxe, SRV, a few Warmoths, G&L Legacy(previous favorite), 2 Tokais (AST-62 & TST-56), Strat Plus and a few others I can't remember.

The factory set up was laughable. If it wasn't for a used one that I tried and all the positive reviews I might have been put off by it. The action was way too high, the trem was poppin a wheelie, and the truss rod needed adjustment. A new set of strings, extra spring, truss rod adjustment and few turns of the saddle screws and she feels awesome!

The pups sound nice and chimy. They have that Fender quack in positions 2 & 4 which I love, but I am also digging the other positions. The bridge is trebly, but it kind of reminds me of Roy Buchanon's sound.

Overall......:AOK :AOK

6. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I picked up a JV Strat yesterday in Olympic White. Last night I put it through its paces. The JV has a fatter neck than a standard Strat. I like that. The action was perfect and the sound is very good. Very punchy and Strat-Like in all five switch modes. This ax could become a favorite.

7. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Doesn't the white look great! I'm a big fan of 2 & 3 tone sb as well as black, but for some reason I had to have this in white. You were luckier than me with the factory set up, but that is all water under the bridge.

8. JAH

JAH Member

I bought one as a back-up guitar 5 years ago and it became my main axe. I love the neck. It gives my higher dollar axes a real run for their money. Plus I don't mind if it gets a little dinged up on stage. I made a couple "upgrades" to it which for me worked really well... a set of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups, Callaham Trem block(extra mass) and trem mounting screws. I don't use the trem so I've got 5 springs holding it tight to the body. The thing never goes out of tune. Oh yeah and the white does sound the best :D ...

9. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

BSHARP,

If you're looking for one, I've got one that I'm looking to unload.

Its a fine guitar, but I just don't use it. I play my 335 and Tele the most these days. Of all the strats I've ever owned it plays and sounds the nicest, I'm just not a "strat guy".

I bought this guitar as a "divorce present" for myself in early November, and I kept all the papers in the gig bag it came with. The guitar is white, and has no mods, dings or scratches.

If you're interested shoot me an email @ heritage592003@yahoo.com

10. stingx

stingx Member

I have a 2005 JV in olympic white and it is one of the best Strats I have ever played. I also own a '97 AmStd and love playing it too but the JV has been getting the most play time.

I swapped out the original pickguard and white plastic for 3-ply parchment and aged plastic.

[​IMG]

11. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

Do you guys like the Tex-Mex's? I'm thinking about putting some in my Warmoth. They have the output that I want and are cheap to boot. The CS 54's in my Strat now aren't doing it for me.

12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While I haven't A/B'd them to '54's, to my ear, the stock Tex-Mex pickups in my JV Strat sound very good once you get their height optimized for your taste. They have a nice meat/sparkle balance to my ears. And the bridge pickup has just enough guts without sounding too over wound or mushy. This is one of the few modern Strats I've owned where I really don't feel the need to replace the pickups. Once I put on a set of my favorite strings and did a complete setup, my JV Strat is just "plug & play".

13. paul14470

paul14470 Member

I love it..vintage white, picked up a used 2001 model, alder body (you can check the wood in the neck pocket...if its got brownish grain its alder, greenish grain its poplar). Nice weight around 7.5 lbs. I had a set of Chubtone '63 pickups which are scatterwound and slightly overwound. They sound awesome. I never even tried the tex mex ones, but have heard them in the past and I always liked them, but set them low in the pickguard for the best tone.

Great neck, USA parts, $325 shipped with a hard SKB case? How can you go wrong? I want to A/B it with my friends EJ strat which cost $1600.
    I'm sure theres a difference, but I'd rather get another JV in black!

Oh yeah, when I got it I took everything apart to clean the hardware, so I figured I'd take the paint off the trem block where it meets the bridge plate like on the EJ strat. Can you hear how much better it sounds? I can't!

The trem stays in tune nice..I did have to widen some of the nut slots for 10 gauge strings, but no problem...

Since 80% of your tone comes from your fingers...this is a great strat for anyone.

14. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

Vaughan...don't forget the "a"....very important.

15. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I like the way yours turned out. If I change mine, I think I'll go with a white pearloid pickguard.