Any keys techs around? Wurlitzer 200a issue

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member

My Wurly has three keys that act a bit funny, and I'm wondering if someone more experienced can tell me if I should just order three reeds, or if this sounds more like a set up problem.

Keys 37,38 and 42 are the culprits. 37 and 38 (A and A#) both die right after being hit - actually never sound right. Key 42 (D) has kind of a compressed, distorted sound. Almost a KLOOOWWW kind of tone.

I took this piano apart and cleaned it well, and it plays great. I don't think the action feels funny on any of these keys, which makes me think they are just bad/going bad.

Thoughts?

Whip the top off and see if the damper is staying clear of the reed ok, or if there's anything else fouling it's vibration. If not, maybe new reeds is the solution, but it could also be a sympathetic vibration damping the note, like wolf notes on a cello.

If you do get new reeds, hopefully you'll be able to tune them by loosening the hex head bolt that holds them in, there should be some play that will let you effectively lengthen or shorten the reed without resorting to adjusting the solder deposit.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
I've tuned the rest of the piano, but haven't been able to figure out why these notes are funky...

All of the other notes responded to the slight hex nut tuning adjustments, so I haven't had to do any soldering - yet!

What would cause the sympathetic vibration? This seems like a stretch

TimmyP

Make sure that the reed screws are tight.

If the reeds were hitting the pickup you'd be getting hellish noises, so that's not it. Double check for non-metallic crud between the reed and pickup.

I've yet to have that problem with a Wurly, unlike Rhodes.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
Alright, I removed # 37 and #38, and put them both in 39's spot to see what happened. The problem stayed with the reeds.

I'm guessing this is pretty definitive that I need new reeds...

Trending Topics