Any Korg D888 users?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Fifthstone, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

My band is thinking of picking one up for recording duties. Would really appreciate if any users / owners out there can comment on how well this works and how it sounds. How are the pre's?

I'd be recording on it then transferring files to Cubase SX for mixing and mastering. Any issues with the USB transfer?

Thanks!

2. Cb

Cb Member

That thing looks awesome. I'll probably replace my Yamaha AW16G with one before too long. It looks like it'll do everything I want from a recorder:

- record 8 channels simultaneously

- has mixer-like controls for each channel for EZ instant playback during rehearsals with rough panning, EQ, & FX (there's nothing quite like listening to the playback as you're working up a new tune, IMO)

- simple to transfer the .wavs to a laptop for PC-based mixing

Nice price too!

Cb :dude

3. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Yeah, but I'm really curious about the mic pre's and the overall construction of the unit. The price seems almost too good to be true.

4. planetal

planetal Member

I don't know if this helps, but I record gigs of my band using a D3200 quite often. I use the D3200 for tracking and transfer the files via usb to my pc for mixing with CuBase. I have a feeling the products share much in terms of components and design.

The mic pre's are ok on the D3200 by the way.. Good enough for a live rock bar band anyway.. In a studio type setting (without the bleed you'll get from doing live stuff), the RNP does sound better for sure (and you'll probably use better mics than you would live).

Al

5. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Thanks, planetal. You're probably right that there are some shared components. I guess I should just try and get my hands on one and check it out.

6. planetal

planetal Member

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Oh no! Not another board!!! Kidding. Cool. Thanks for sending this on. Will have a look through.

8. beePee

beePee Member

I used a D-16 ..not the same thing as a 888 ..the D-16 actually looks like it has a better monitor..but...The Korg is definetly very user friendly . Don't expect pro quality though.Mic pre's on all standalones are functional to bad at best.
    The converters A/D conversion isn't good either. ...You get what youy pay for.

It'd be better to get a Mac Book or Mac mini and a decent converter with at least 8 inputs like a RME fireface 800..it has fairly good pres ..much better than a standalone...and just use your Cubase....

Now you have something that may be worth keeping.Standalones are mostly only good for sketching and getting ideas down.The big downside is their absolesence is immediate upon purchase (no upgrading).

BP