Any Les Paul experts? Need opinions on a 1979 Custom

joelbah

A guy with a 1979 '69 Reissue Les Paul Custom is considering trading me for my 1996 Classic. Mine has a couple tiny nicks. His is really beat up. Mine has an amazingly perfect set up. Not sure about his but he did say there was some fret wear on 2, 3 and 5 and that it had a very low action. I haven't played it yet, but thankfully he only lives an hour away so I'll be able to play it before we figure out a trade.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what I should know about 1979 Customs, and what his is probably worth, because he wants me to add some cash to even the trade. Any help would be appreciated. I also know there are lots of Les Paul dedicated forums, but I don't know which one might has the most reputable members, so if you want to suggest another forum, I'm ok with that.

Are 1979 '69 reissue customs good guitars? What are the stock pickups?

He sent me some pictures.

AL30

I have no experience with the Reissues but I have a 1980 Silverburst Custom. My Silverburst weighs a TON and I'm not one to complain about heavy guitars. But this one is heavy. It doesn't resonate well either. It does have plenty of attack and bite plugged in. It's a good guitar but isn't as nice as my '91 LP Custom.

My advice is go play the guitar if you think you're interested.

AL

Guitarzandstuff

Gold Supporting Member
This would be a 79 Custom, not a reissue of anything. That said, I'd rather have the Custom over a Classic!

joelbah

This would be a 79 Custom, not a reissue of anything. That said, I'd rather have the Custom over a Classic!
yeah he told me it was a '69 reissue, which didn't seem to make sense, but that's what he said.

anyone have any idea what this might be worth?

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
It would probably sell for more than it's worth. I'd keep what you have if it were me. Not much good came out of the 70s.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I have played a couple of LPs from that very era.

ugh.

joelbah

Go play it. If you like it, trade. Its worth more than your Classic.
I am sure I'll have to add some money, just trying to figure out what is fair. My classic is pretty valueable to me just because it plays sooo well. The action, frets and intonation are all perfect. But I love the look of that custom.

AlexF

it will have a much fatter neck than your classic, and will probably be much heavier. These days, as the others have said, worth a little more than yours in cash terms. If yours has the standard open pickups, the custom will sound much more vintage, with less output and a sweeter gentler sound. I think they were also still using small frets then. In summary it will feel and sound very much different.

Guitarzandstuff

Gold Supporting Member
It would probably sell for more than it's worth. I'd keep what you have if it were me. Not much good came out of the 70s.
I've had many great Gibsons from the 70's... Still have a 74 Standard that I'd put up against any Les Paul! (and I've got plenty) :cool:

DonP

I have a 1977 Custom like this, and a 1996 Classic Premium Plus

The necks are fairly close in shape. The custom is fatter, but not by much.

If I had to choose, I'd keep the older one because it would be worth more in the long run. I can find plenty of Classics.

Playing wise, the 77 has worn frets and the Classic has taller ones, so the Classic wins. If the 77 had a refret with med-jumbo to jumbos, it would win.

The 77 has a sweet tone, very 70's rock. Nails Thin Lizzy. Classic sounds great as well, so tone wise it would be a draw for me because I'm a metal head. I can get a good AC/DC tone out of the Classic by going through a low gain tube amp. Let the pickup do the work.

JP~)

I've had many great Gibsons from the 70's... Still have a 74 Standard that I'd put up against any Les Paul! (and I've got plenty) :cool:
I love my 74'....great sounding guitar and much thicker in tone. May not be a work of art...but a really good guitar.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not saying it's not a good guitar, just that it will probably be overvalued if you look at it objectively. It's an old, beat up Les Paul. For what it would sell for, you could get a brand new one that would be just as good or better.

Findthetone

I have a 1977 Custom like this, and a 1996 Classic Premium Plus

The necks are fairly close in shape. The custom is fatter, but not by much.

If I had to choose, I'd keep the older one because it would be worth more in the long run. I can find plenty of Classics.

Playing wise, the 77 has worn frets and the Classic has taller ones, so the Classic wins. If the 77 had a refret with med-jumbo to jumbos, it would win.

The 77 has a sweet tone, very 70's rock. Nails Thin Lizzy. Classic sounds great as well, so tone wise it would be a draw for me because I'm a metal head. I can get a good AC/DC tone out of the Classic by going through a low gain tube amp. Let the pickup do the work.
This is the best comparison you're going to find. The '79 frets will be very small compared to the Classic. If you like the way the Classic plays, you're going to want to re fret the Custom. But it will be worth it if it's a good one.

I love '79 Customs. There's something about the mass and 3 piece maple neck that makes them awesome rock guitars!

Schroedinger

I had an 80 Custom for about 5 years. Overall I liked it, and it sounded great. Things I didn't love: super heavy, super skinny neck, low "fretless wonder" frets, clownish cherry sunburst finish. I sold it about a year ago for $2k.

I've also played some real dogs from that era: warped necks, bad neck angles, etc.

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
I had an 80 Custom for about 5 years. Overall I liked it, and it sounded great. Things I didn't love: super heavy, super skinny neck, low "fretless wonder" frets, clownish cherry sunburst finish. I sold it about a year ago for $2k.

I've also played some real dogs from that era: warped necks, bad neck angles, etc.
I have a 78 that looks just like the pic the OP posted. I'm kind of torn about it...the neck is skinny, which I don't like, and it's pretty heavy, but it just sounds so 70's rock. It's the best sounding LP I've owned but it doesn't feel right in my hands. It looks so cool, too. That said, 70's Gibsons are a total crapshoot.

Trending Topics