Any love for ac4's anymore, or is it over?

Jcbluesman

Not much lately on ac4's. Post from 2009 or so in Google search. Im digging my ac4tv. For my music, 5 watts or less tube amps fit the bill. I live in a apartment so volume is a issue. Got it setup for my liking. Nos tungsram el84, Svetlana 12ax7. Took the back off. Pure nickel strings on my guitar With pickups adjusted low, perfect! I hope the wgs veteran 20 helps with volume and some earlier breakup.l like the vx speaker alright though. Any love 4'em, or is it over

Jcbluesman

Yeah, im returning/learning playing the getfiddle. Its perfect for my needs at this time. I think a bunch of guy's got in to them, then moved up as skills changes needs. For my style though, 5 watters are perfect. I'll consider as I improve, and when I can justify it, I'll spring for a hand wired boutique 5 watter. Maybe the little vox ac hand wire job. I'm liking me some vox right now. Not in to the fender brown sound thing at all at this time.

Jcbluesman

Got mine for 165 bucks, pawn shop find. As I get better, then an upgrade. Right now for my needs, im there. I put a wgs veteran 20. That opened it up a lot. Now I know the difference between a loose speaker and a tight speaker. I like'em loose, oh yeah. Its a fun amp to play now

Jcbluesman

Maybe in the future. Where im living now, I'm pushing it with 4 watts, lol. My next step may be a extension speaker setup, but not needed now. All I know is I got to have el84. I need it man, I need it. :eek: uh, I mean:)

petty1818

The new ac10 is such a great amp that I wouldn't even consider the ac4. I used to be a boutique snob but my ac10 is such a fun amp to play.

Jcbluesman

Yeah, that would be my next
logical:cool: move. When needed, I don't know. Where I live and my level, we'll see. I'll buy according to my level. What I have now is enough to get a whole lot better. Prs, ac4tv, polytune, and you tube videos.Thats more than enough

bizzwriter

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up an AC4 to use as a small amp for band practice -- works perfect for that. Great sound, and can get pretty loud when necessary. Not something I would gig with, though.

Hokiechris

I have an AC4 with the 12" speaker. It's great for around the house. I never need to go past 12 or 1:00 on the knobs and I can dial is some grit with the gain knob.

Jcbluesman

For me, im not close to playing gigs. I'm really just learning about tube amps. By tube rolling, speaker changes, and modifying ( I took the back off mine, which made a big difference) I'm learning about sound. As im making these changes, I'm enjoying playing more, learning more and hearing more of what I want to hear. Until about a month ago, harmonics, open, airy, loose, tight, balanced, etc, meant nothing to me in posts I read here and elsewhere. This ac4 has been a great learning tool all the way around. I think unless you are accomplished, a low watt amp is a good place to start.

Jcbluesman

I have an AC4 with the 12" speaker. It's great for around the house. I never need to go past 12 or 1:00 on the knobs and I can dial is some grit with the gain knob.
Yeah, I changed out the 10" vx with a wgs veteran 20. Its looser with more of a natural feel to me. I wasn't unhappy with the stock but I found the wgs for 15 bucks on craigslist. I like the switch though. In my apartment, its all I need right now. Oh, the dust cap on the vx speaker is large compared to the wgs. No wonder it's a tighter sounding speaker. I suppose cone materials makes a difference between them also

Last edited:

garret

Played a friends and it sounded a bit boxy and muffled. Plugged it into a 2 x 12 and sounded very good.

But the same friend just got an AC15 with the celestion, sounds great! Will get one of them in the near future.

Jcbluesman

Ac15, maybe. The ac10 may fit my needs when the step is needed. For me, without jamming, gigging, or getting paid for it, I don't needs more for learn'n, and im hearing things I like. Its cool hearing different things with a couple of swaps.

blaster

I had the AC4-HW but didn't like it. There was a lack of bottom end that made me get rid of it. I now have the AC10 which is great, plus it has reverb, and a nice bottom end.

Trending Topics