Any love for ASAT Tributes ???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blazing Apostle, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Blazing Apostle

Blazing Apostle Member

With $500 to spend I am trying to decide between a new Bluesboy and a used Fender '72 Custom (MIM).

I have to buy online and I hear a lot of contradictory info on quality about MIM Fenders and G&L Tributes.

The shop that I am looking at for the Bluesboy is offering a pro setup.

Thanks guys !!!!

2. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I had a asat tribute classic, but it was stolen. It was a really good guitar. Fit and finish were well above MIM Fender IMHO. The hardware is so stout and bullet proof, well above anything I've seen come from Fender. Mine had the satin finish on the neck, and it felt great. If I could have changed anything, it was on the heavy side, 8 + lbs. It was also a little stiff with 10's, could have been a good candidate for 9's.

Keep in mind the MDF pickups are more modern sounding than what a typical tele would have in it. Listen to demos online, it's fairly obvious, you can hear it. I don't do hum buckers in tele's, so I can't help you much there.

Overall, I'd want to make far fewer changes to the tribute than a MIM fender to make it a good gigging guitar, so for me, it's a better choice. That being said, you have to be willing to venture away from the traditional style (have a look at G&L headstocks for instance), and like what those MDF pickups do for you.

Hope this helps.

3. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

I LOVE the G&L tributes. I bought a Fender MIM Cabronita. I returned it ASAP. 4 piece body, visible paint seams, rattling bridge, ok fretwork. What a POS. I have a G&L Tribute Fallout (had an ASAT before) and it is worlds better quality wise over Fender.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I have a mahogany ASAT Special. Love it.

I did some work to mine. Bone nut, Plek, micro mesh on the neck for a satin finish, and replaced the saddles with the U.S. versions. I think it is as good as the U.S. Asats I've owned.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Mexican Fenders and G&L tributes can both be excellent guitars. I'd probably pick the G&L, but you're likely to be happy either way.

6. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

Blazing - have owned 4 USA G&Ls, have 3 currently...and would just throw out that if you can get your way from $500 up to $800 or so, you can get a used USA G&L (I know that many people ask $1,100+ for them). The USA guitars are really, really good.....

7. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I was in a similar boat, I played the Bluesboy and the MIM Tele with tele with the WR humbuckers. I much preferred the G&L over the Mexican Fender, but in the end I picked up a used Reverend Buckshot for $400. The Reverend does exactly what I was looking for with a few other sounds that the other two did not have because of the bass control.

8. brainman

brainman Member

I've got an ASAT tribute that is a Great guitar. I sat in the shop comparing it to MIA tele's and chose the Tribute. The price difference wasn't the deciding factor; it was just a bonus. I can't speak for all of them, but the fit and finish on mine is great.

9. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Anither vote for the ASAT. Very hard to beat at the price, and the Tributes really don't stint in the quality.

10. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I accept that the G&L might be better made, but I'd go for the Fender every time. The Fender sounds like a Fender, which is the sound in my head, and the G&L doesn't. I also don't like the look of the G&L.

I'd prefer to try a few Fenders before buying one rather than buy one unseen, but if you can try several, I believe you can get a great guitar for not much money. Perhaps change the pickups down the line sometime.

11. Defendant

Defendant Member

Much depends on your neck and fret preferences.

The G&L Tributes have modern, bigger frets and a flatter radius than the 72 custom ri. Also a thinner backshape.

The MIM tele custom will have a fatter neck but rounder radius and vintage frets.

That setup may be what you want but for many -myself included- it's a bit hard to play.

So if you prefer more modern neck specs go G&L. Those are really nice guitars.

I say this as a ten-year owner of an MIM 72 custom reissue (refetted with jumbos) that I still play all the time. I have a great MIM cabronita too.

12. cfo_deebiedaddy

cfo_deebiedaddy Member

The Tributes are excellent guitars, and the Bluesboy is definitely a nice design. Unlike most of the Tributes, though, the Bluesboy doesn't (I'm 99% sure) use the same pickups as the USA models, which in this case means no Seth Lover in the neck. Don't know if it matters to you, but for me that's the only strike against the Bluesboy. I've never had a tele custom, but I'm sure you'd have a lot of fun with that one, too!