Any love for Ash body w rosewood fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Uffe Steen, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Uffe Steen

Uffe Steen Member

Hi friends
    I have orderet an ash body that I consider to put my beloved rosewood fingerboard neck on. Both Warmoth then.
    I have heard many claims that ash works best with maple, so please chime in if you have any advise.
    Cheers Uffe

2. dconeill

dconeill Member

It's your guitar, use whatever you want. IMO the difference in tone between a rosewood fingerboard and a maple fingerboard, other things being equal, is minor; the player's touch has much more effect.

ragamuffin, Dale and pressure like this.
  3. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I have an AVRI 59 this skin strat with an ash body and a rosewood fretboard. Sounds much better than my American Standard with an ash body and maple neck. Dont believe the voodoo myths , I doubt most people could pick out a ash/ rosewood guitar out of a crowd with their eyes closed.

Dale likes this.
  4. hotmod

hotmod Member

Much much love for that combination,my number 1 strat is like that and it's way ahead of the others.

Phnurt likes this.
  5. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

I just got a G&L Legacy semi-hollow in this combination, fantastic guitar

6. mxvin

mxvin Member

I did a Warmoth build with an ash body with a book matched ash top. Maple neck with a canary wood finger board which is a lot like rosewood. I love it. But its more the shape and the feel of the neck. An SRV profile with compound radius from 10 to 16.
    Have Fender Fat 50s in it. I love it.

7. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I have an American Deluxe Ash Strat with a rosewood fingerboard. I love it.

8. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

THis. If there is a difference, I’ve always found a slight EQ shift makes up for it if its even noticeable. I haven’t noticed any differences in feel.

9. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Member

Why all the notoriety around this wood combination? It seems to have this odd polarity around here where it is either appreciated as much as any next, or completely reviled for reasons that aren't fully within my comprehension.

As far as I've noticed, not many other come here seeking validation for other well established wood combinations (ash/maple, adler/maple, mahogany/rosewood), but for some reason, this combination that has been around for years, is scrutinized disproportionately, if not in need of constant reassurance.

Tl;dr

I like it!

10. dazco

dazco Member

This is one combo i have always wanted but never had. But with how ash sounds and how rosewood boards sound it always seemed to me like it would be a good combo. What i don't get tho is if it is, why then does fender do so little of this combo? Only in recent years have they used it more, but even now not near as much as the ash/maple or alder/rosewood combos.

11. Butch1970

Butch1970 Supporting Member

I wood think that the weight/density of the woods used would make more of a noticeable difference than the actual wood type.

My AV '64 Tele has an Ash body with a Rosewood board. Sounds great! Any perceived brightness is likey more the result of the steel saddles versus brass. It's also a pretty lightweight guitar.

12. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

My Ibanez M80M has the Ash/Rosewood combo.
    I'm liking it so far. Very "snappy" and detailed compared
    to my other 8 string.(although, the 29.4" scale helps
    with that quite a bit I'm guessing.)

13. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

Just do it. If you don't like how it sounds, change it. Now, as others have said, are we talking about Northern Ash (baseball bats) or Swamp ash? They are pretty different in tonal profiles.

However, I honestly think that fretboard wood is usually more of a feel and look choice than anything else. Rosewood is a different finger feel than finished maple.

14. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I have always found that ash body with rosewood necks are more airy sounding. I cant really describe it but I have swapped necks and bodies with lots of guitars and that's my best description. It works for sure but without trying it yourself, you will never know.

15. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I love it myself. I think Fender stays true to the original more. However, Leo did not mate woods for tone. He used ash until they found out the price and ease of finishing of alder. Rosewood replaced maple as it was a faster turn around on the finishing end. It was about profit margin. I just think people are mated to alder rosewood and maple ash out of tradition.

16. Devnor

Devnor Member

My Krause Strat is my #1 guitar and its ash/rosewood. It's a great combo.

17. cardinal

cardinal Member

Wasn't Page's dragon Tele ash with a rosewood board? No one thinks that sounded bad.

18. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Ditto. My main guitar for fifteen years has been a 1998 American Deluxe in trans burgundy. Swamp ash body/rosewood board. It can have a bright edge, but you can neuter that with the right pick and appropriate technique. The upside is a twangy low E that sounds huge.

I'd rather have too much top than to want it and not need it.

19. Uffe Steen

Uffe Steen Member

Thanks to everybody for inputs. I learned something . I will get back when I get my body and try it out. There wil go 2 to 3 month, though

20. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I have an MJT ash body mated to an Allparts RW neck.
    Sounds great!