1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Any love for Billy Childish or Thee Headcoats/Thee Mighty Ceasars, Buff Medways,etc?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Custom Deluxe, May 17, 2011.

1. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

Since I've noticed a few "any love" threads going, I'd thought I'd throw this one to see if anyone out there is into the English Gentlemen (or gentleman if talking about Billy proper) of Rock N' Roll-Billy Childish and all of his many incarnations as a band leader or player in a band?

Love 'em. Just freakin' love 'em. Can't get enough.

I was fortunate to see Thee Headcoats in NYC in the late '90's. Just killed. Even my then girlfriend (now wife) love them. She is big fan of the Ladies Auxiliary Thee Headcoatees & Holly Golightly.

Just flat out great rock n' roll.

2. Strat

Strat Member

3. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Yes! I can't see that I'm a huge fan, but I've always enjoyed the Billy Childish (mostly Thee Headcoats) that I've heard over the years. He's one of the great champions of amateurism in music (a very alien concept in these parts) and an all-around awesome guy. Characters like him and Mike Watt are essential to balance out the universe.

4. zhivago

zhivago Member

I've been privileged enough to see him play live twice.

the first time, I had no idea who the band was...I was out on a regular night out in London, ended up in a club, and then a band all dressed in palace guard uniforms turns up...I thought they looked cool and went near the stage.

They picked up their guitars and started playing a song really, really slowly....it didn't make any sense. Once they finished, Billy walked up to the mic and said "ok, that was soundcheck"

and they play the same song super loud and fast...they then proceed to rocking out completely....I was blown away!

the second time, was billy supporting Mudhoney (just when they re-united) at the Electric Ballroom in London...

In the crowd we had Eugene Kelly AND Kevin Shields...Billy rocked, but, the crowd which was made out of mostly youngsters didn't like the music and threw bottles at him :(

Mark Arm was standing by the side of the stage in disbelief...

I stood in the crowd in disbelief, as Mudhoney is like the Buff Medways, but fuzzier and heavier...odd night for sure, but still, IMO Billy played well.