Any love for David Garza?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by LuckyBystander, Feb 24, 2009.

1. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

I'm not talking about David LEE Garza; I'm talking about David Garza (pronounced Dah-VEED Garza), originally from Austin, was on the Atlantic label for awhile in the late-90s, and had a song on the "Great Expectations" movie soundtrack.

I have had the good fortune to hang out and talk to David on a couple of occasions. It was always a huge mystery to me why he wasn't a household name. His music is fantastic.

2. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Blast from the past. I'm guessing it was 1992/93 that I had the pleasure of doing a few shows opening up for David. My band from St.Louis had gotten some press from billboard and rolling stone after losing a national battle of the bands to The Verve Pipe. Anyway we wound up getting hooked up with a good attorney, good production company, producer Keith Olsen, and hit the road. While traveling through the Southwest we got the chance to do shows with him. On top of being amazingly talented, David was just a super nice guy. I remember playing scrabble with him in Fort Worth a few hours before watching him completely hold a packed club in the palm of his hand! If I'm not mistaken he was just putting out Con Migo. I would love to see him perform again and if anyone gets the chance don't miss it. I remember someone asking us to describe Dahveed and our rhythm guitar player said imagine if Los Lobos put on a show with a very energetic Paul Simon as a special guest. I thought that fit fairly well!

3. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I liked Mirror Ball. I saw him do a show once with just a drum machine...I wasn't so into that.

The curse of the mid-level artist strikes again.

JD

4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I have his disc from the later '90s. "Mirror Ball" maybe? I do like some of the songs on it, but I don't love it.

5. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

Yes, he is an extremely nice guy. He played the Texas college party circuit a lot in the early-to-mid-90s, and I caught a fair number of his shows. While his albums are good, his live shows were fantastic.

Last time I checked, he was playing in Houston and Austin (Continental Club) as well as LA (Largo). He has some stuff, including his boxed set, currently on iTunes I think. But I always thought he should be bigger than he is.

6. bartmcartman

I know we did a few shows with him in Texas back then. I'm thinking the place in Fort Worth was calle The Hop? There was a place in Austin called Steamboat? Played with him in Memphis as well. That was a long time ago. A lot of time in the van and a lot of beers so the names might not be correct. Check out his cd's culture vulture, con migo. There's another one that I can't remember the name of. They were before the Atlantic stuff.

7. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

Steamboat in Austin sounds right to me. I agree that the pre-Atlantic stuff was very good. There's a hard-to-find album called Eyes Wide Open, and a tape called Summer Songs II that are both really good. And I have Culture Vulture as well, though I don't have Con Migo.

I'm glad to see that there is some love for DG on TGP after all!

8. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

He was part of a Best Buy TV campaign in the mid/late 90's called "Find 'Em First," where the artists had to look into the camera and declare, "you don't know me now, but you will."

I think the spots were more offputting than intriguing - and no one from that series really did become a breakout star. It probably was a kiss of death, in a way.

Having said that, I thought David Garza's "New Kind of Love" had a fantastic fuzzed-out T Rex vibe. GREAT song!

9. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

I remember those commercials. I was in grad school at UT-Austin in the late-'90s, and I remember seeing them during that time.

I may be wrong, but I think the song you're thinking of is named "Kinder" (with the chorus "Step inside my new kinder love"). You're right: great song!

10. flickerbot

flickerbot Member

I saw him play back a few years ago. AMAZING! Ken Stringfellow opened for him- and while I'm a huge Posies fan, David smoked him- it was very reminiscent of Jeff Buckley. I've never been a huge fan of his albums- but definitely go see him live.

11. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Hey, I like David Lee Garza Y Los Musicales. My favorite song is Hasta Quando, but I'm a Tejano, what did you expect?

12. bartmcartman

Yes, I have eyes wide open as well. Great talent!

13. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

14. Wooley

Wooley Member

Huge fan!

Used to see him at the Trees in Dallas.

Have 3 of his albums, two from that period back in the early 90s.

In fact, I was inspired by this thread to go to Amazon and re-buy Culture Vulture and Eyes Wide Open.

15. Wooley

Wooley Member

Wait, you played The Hop in the early 90s?!

Who the hell are you and who did you play with?! I probably saw you!