1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any love for early silverface bassman heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Reeek, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Reeek

Reeek Member

Any opinions on the early silverface bassman heads?

2. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    I like em. Cheap way to get into the fender tone. Probably not as cheap as they used to be. In the 80,s you could get them all day long for $100 or so.
    Nice platform for modding too.
    Rob

3. Reeek

Reeek Member

I just went for it too and bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7368335536&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

$480 before shipping ($50, which was a tad steep for a head I think) ain't gonna kill me I suppose . . .

By the gist of the description,m it sounds like ti was supposedly blackfaced in 1998. Once she gets here after a sound check, I'll decide to either keep it as is or send it into Wakarusa Amplification for a review of what was done. Anyway, it mathces my 1969 Twin Reverb now :cool:

Now I need to get a 4 Ohm cab :eek: Maybe another J-Design but a 4x10 that I'll load with two Weber alnico's and two Weber ceramics ;)

4. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

5. bob-i

bob-i Member

I like 'em a lot. They have great iron, some of th ebets trannies out there, and plenty of room for mods. If you wanta go for the big bucks have Fuchs mod it, awesome sounding amps.

6. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I've got one that I use... for bass! Who knew? :)

Nice chewy vibe through a 1x15 Thiele cab. Doubles as a pretty smokin guitar amp as well. A lot of bang for that buck

/rick

7. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I've got a 68 that was also modded by David Allen. It's a great baseline fender amp. Good platform for modding and takes pedals very well.

I'm currently running mine through an Avatar 2x12 with a Governor and a Wizard at 8ohms. Thinking bout a 2x10.

8. Reeek

Reeek Member

I feel really good about this amp too and the seller as well. He has already made contact (within 30 minutes) and will be shipping today plus he left his cell phone number in the email if I have any questions.

Feels good to me at this point.

Next step:

4 Ohm cab
    Sound check
    Tube assessment - it must have good vintage tubes ;) I have a matched pair of JAN Philips 7581A's coming from KCA. I wonder how those would sound in a Bassman or should I just go with GE's or RCAs?

Then jamming :D

Thanks for all the input and encouragement everyone!

9. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I like the SF Bassmans a lot. I think they're a great bang for the buck. I have (&had) a few BF Bassmans AA864 & AB165's (same as the SF). I modded the AB165's similar to the 'Allen' mod and prefer them over the 864 design. Like previously stated, they are an excellent platform for modding (at the very least do (get) the bias mod done).

I've tried all sorts of tubes in mine. I do prefer RCA and GE, but the 7581A's should work fine. They have higher headroom and should work well with pedals.

Congrats and have fun!

10. bscepter

bscepter Member

Am I nuts or are BF Bassmans still a great deal? I swear I keep seeing them for $750 or so -- under a grand, anyway. Why is this? No 'verb and no trem? Who cares?

11. Reeek

Reeek Member

I'm going to go with a 2xsomething cab for the Bassman head after all.

Any thought on the configuration and speakers? I'll likely choose from Weber speakers but which models?

Let's not forget that Bassman amps are diode rectified too.

2x12 with two alnico 30 watt Blue Dogs?
    2x12 with two ceramic 30 watt Blue Dogs?
    2x12 with one of each?
    10/12 with an alnico Blue Pup and a ceramic Blue Dog?
    2x10 with two alnico 30 watt Blue Pups?
    2x10 with two ceramic 30 watt Blue Pups?
    2x10 with one of each?
    What about a 1x15 for the Bassman?

I already have an unloaded J Design cab coming and two Weber alnico 30 watt alnico Blue Pups for my Airline/Valco 50 watt head, my Hi-Mu head and my 5E3 homebrew head.

Any other speaker ideas, even if they aren't Weber. No Blues though, they won't handle the output . . .

Thanks! I want to get the cab ordered soon and the speakers too.

12. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

I bought this amp on a trip to Sweden last summer. I was going to modify it, but changed my mind after playing it the first time. Sounds great just the way it is!

I remember owning a SF bassman head in the early 80's that I didn't like at all. I was into Marshalls at the time.

[​IMG]

Michael

13. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Hey Reeek,

My personal preference for most Fenders is 10" speakers. They just sound and feel the best to me. My second is 15" speakers. It pretty much boils down to what you're looking to achieve. I do like your idea of mixing a 10" and 12", though. Based on all the speakers you mentioned, I don't think any would be a bad combination.

I built the following cab to house my Bassman that I modded and a Weber ceramic Chicago 15. It sounds incredible. It has a really nice growl to it, but remains extremely clear and articulate. Good luck!

J

[​IMG]

14. Reeek

Reeek Member

Thanks, Argonaut4. I'm wondering about the 2x10 and the 10/12 but the 1.15 really does have a nice ring to it. I have a 14 watt Sano with a Weber Cali 15 in it that I love.

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The 7581As will sound killer and give the amp a bit more clean headroom. For less headroom you can use the JAN Philips 6L6WGBs.

16. doctorx

doctorx Member

17. evhtone

evhtone Member

I have a 1973 Bassman 100 head and I have never liked the way it sounds for guitar. Are there any mods I can do? It's never been touched and is in REALLY nice shape. I would be willing to try some mods on it to make it better for guitar.

18. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

EVH...try this link http://bluesamps.com the dumble mod would rule. this guy works wonders on those amps.

19. Shea

Shea Member

If it's never been touched and it's in that good shape, then maybe you should sell it instead.

Shea

20. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have a 76 Bassman 100, and you certainly can mod yours into a great guitar amp. Check out my webpage on it. It was a major rebuild, but worth it. I basically turned it into a Twin/Super reverb circuit, without any reverb or trem.