Any Love for Empress Superdelay Nowadays?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MarkF786, May 31, 2015.

1. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

Years ago I had an Empress Superdelay and loved the sound and ease of use. It replaced my Timefactor, since the Superdelay sounded much better to my ears. Later when Strymon came along, I bought an El Capistan and Brigadier and sold the Superdelay. It's hard to say now if the Strymon pedals sounded better; maybe I was more into the novelty. Later I replaced the two Strymon pedals with a Timeline, and now also have an H9 Max.

I've been wanting to go back to a more simple delay pedal and have considered the DIG, but occasionally I wonder about going back to a Superdelay. On a side note, I owned both the standard and Vintage Modified and preferred the standard; the Vintage Modified had too much warble in the Vintage and Old modes.

Anyone using a Superdelay nowadays? How do you feel it stacks up to the competition?

2. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

SD user here. Just a really solid delay with a ton of options. Not the flavor of the month here anymore so no one talks about it.

3. yawiney

yawiney Member

^ +1. Sound quality-wise, I don't think Eventide or Strymon have anything on it and it's really full of options. The tape delay on it is as good as any i've heard to me. It WOULD be nice to be able to toggle between a couple presets rather than scroiling thru to get to them. I will be buying another delay at some point, but will keep the SD.