any love for fargen amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oscar100, Mar 29, 2008.

1. oscar100

oscar100 Member

got a special custom build and its amazing - tweed/deluxe/bassman/dmble circuits all in one head and interchangeable tubes too

2. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I've got the Super Collider and I have a 49x54 on the way. Lots of love for the Fargen amps here!

3. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I have two of Ben's amps — an Epic 30 DC 212 and a Dual Classic with one of Jeff Earl's 212 cabs.

They are simply amazing amps. The caption under my screen name says it all.

4. jhansenku

jhansenku Supporting Member

Just ordered my custom Fargen a few days ago. Ben has been great to work with.

5. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I had a one channel Epic that was great. I'm hoping to score a Blackbird soon.

His amps take a beating on the used market for some reason. Build-wise they're impeccable.

6. joemesser

joemesser Member

Oh lord, yes. I got a Super Collider a few weeks ago and I'm in love. The finest amp I've owned or played. Perfect is a word that comes to mind. I'll write a good review when it's been a bit longer, but for now I'll just say that I'm extremely satisfied. Ben is a talented MoFo.

!Viva Fargen! :BEER

7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

hell yeah!!!!! I love my Blackbird. Amazing amp.

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

Dual Classic combo...still love it after almost 7 years...many have come and tried to conquer but none have...

Chow,
    Seegs

9. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

I caught a guy playing a club one night, he was using Fargens, a BlackBird and one other...he told me, it was the best amp he had played, so must be something to them!

10. marcusbrody

marcusbrody Member

His old Vox design (Epic 30) has been my number 1 for years. It sounds great, sits beautifully in a mix, and is easy to record. I'm not a pedalhead, but it takes well to those too. It's also been rock solid reliable.

11. gwr

gwr Member

O.k. I'm not one to rifle a builder of any musical equipment on a musician's web site so don't misunderstand me and I think Ben is a hell of a good builder but I had a blackbird that I just could'nt seem to agree with,thought something must be wrong with it,other guys rave about these things,sent back to Ben to go over it got it back did'nt hear any difference sold it and bought a '66 pro reverb,now I'm happy.I guess it's all in what tone your looking for?

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I plugged into one and felt at home right away. Nice feel, and excellent detailed tones from top to bottom. VERY GOOD,VERY GOOD!!:AOK

13. go7

go7 Member

I have a humble 20 watt Fargen Blackbird bought used.With an O D pedal i`m good to go at 30 lbs.Very impressed.Normally I prefer the original circuits, since getting my Blackbird I sold my original DR.Love it.

14. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Great amps in tone, features and build.

15. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

Great Amps made by a great person. He sets the bar extra high and puts out nothing but fantastic sounding amps and stands by each and everyone of them

16. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

I had a 66 Pro Reverb...a darn good one, and let it go after I had my Blackbird 2X6V6 for awhile. Also sold my 66 Deluxe Reverb...with the same speaker installed in each amp (consecutively, of course), the Blackbird sounded better. Didn't hurt that I put an old Jensen C12N reconed by Uncle Spot (great recone). What really made the difference was a matched pair of NOS 6V6GT tubes and a really nice 12AX7 in V1 (I think it's a Mullard long tail). Really comes to life with the tubes.

Recently picked up the older Fargen Miniplex. Sounds huge and organic through a closed back 2X12" with greenbacks. First time ever I can live without reverb.

Ben makes great amps! Would have liked to try the short-lived 2 or 4XEL84 amp he build awhile back.

17. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Supporting Member

The snow of Cleveland Ohio and sun of Daytona Bch
    I had a older Miniplex that just didn't do it for me. But I wouldn't be afraid to try a different amp of his. I didn't have a problem with the quality or any individual thing about the amp. Maybe next time. And there's plenty of good said about him on this board.

18. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I've played a 3 older MiniPlex amps and they DEFINITELY didn't do it for me. There's one sitting in town here at a shop that I plugged into again a week or two ago and it still didn't do it.

That said, I have a Mini Plex MkII and it is everything (everything!) I ever wanted in a Marshall-inspired amp. I have never in my life been so satisfied with a piece of musical equipment. Every time I plug into it, I get exactly what I want out of it. Love it.

And, as has been said, Ben is a top-notch guy all the way around.

BAN

19. madscientist

madscientist Member

I've got one of the newer BB 30 Watt SE's(4x6v6) and I am still blown away by the tone. The JJ 6v6's really give it a 6L6 type of tone, which I dig. The cleans are stunning and every time I click off my OD pedals, I remember how good they sound. Build quality is off that charts and communicating with Ben is real easy.

Fantastic amp, great service!

20. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I love my 30w BB enought that I sold my '66 Super Reverb after it got no use for a year and half. I was amazed when I played the two amps side by side. The 1x12 BB is a very full sounding amp for its size. The cleans are great and it handles every type of pedal I throw at it better than any of my BF Fenders ever did.
    It doesn't have that scooped mid sound of a BF Fender, so if you're trying to get a modern day build of an old BFDR or something, look elsewhere. But, it is an amazing amp with great tones of its own. Definitely inspired by the BF Fenders, but very different in where Ben has gone with the tone. The mids are fuller and the whole eq section is much more functional than a BF Fender. You can dial the mids back or boost them and the treble and bass have a dramatic effect.