• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any love for Fripp's solo in Eno's "Baby's On Fire"?

ethan walker

Fripp's extended solo on Brian Eno's Baby's on Fire is pretty incredible to me. Fripp got a ripping, RAW tone and goes nuts over a simple groove, spewing out dissonant and evil sounding licks left and right. Awesome!

Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=draua97qH1Y
Solo at 1:32 into the song, don't let Eno's vocal throw you. I like the "stops" inbetween the solo sections, or the "free space" as the Jazzers would say.

Ethan

re-animator

I love everything fripp has done... he's an unbelievable guitarist. one of the most unique musicians in the genre.

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
+1 of course
But my favorite solo might be from The Roches' Hammond Song. The first note of that solo is the right note at the right time with the right tone. I also like the work he did with David Sylvian.

Last edited:

ethan walker

I'd love to know what the rig was for this recording. It sounds like a tortured Marshall about to blow up, but I suspect it's a fuzzbox of some sort.

Ethan

kingsleyd

Frikkin genyus
Platinum Supporting Member
Oh hell yeah! Been digging on that solo for over 30 years!

trickness

Analog with a side of DSP
love that solo, but the ones in "St. Elmo's Fire" and "I'll Come Running To Tie Your Shoe" from Another Green World are big favorites too.

ethan walker

I don't know if thats a Buzzaround. If it is I'm buyin' three! Any Fripp heads know what he used on this or in this era? I actually didn't know he played on "Another Green World", I'll have to break that CD out.

I'm also glad that some TGP members are feeling this tune. I thought I might be in the minority who think this solo is the ****.

Ethan

jgyn

I don't know if thats a Buzzaround. If it is I'm buyin' three! Any Fripp heads know what he used on this or in this era? I actually didn't know he played on "Another Green World", I'll have to break that CD out.

I'm also glad that some TGP members are feeling this tune. I thought I might be in the minority who think this solo is the ****.

Ethan
From a 1974 Fripp interview in Guitar Player:

"(snip) On stage I use three pedals on a pedal board: A volume pedal, fuzz-tone, and wah-wah. The fuzz-tone and wah-wah are pretty rubbishy. I'm not sure what type of wah-wah it is. The best fuzz-box to use is a Burn's Buzz-around which they discontinued making in England about six years ago. I have two of them, but they're not at the moment attached to my pedal board. The more pedals you go through, the longer leads you need, and in turn the less volume you get. You lose gain along the way. To lessen that, the wah-wah and the fuzz are on the knock-off circuit. In other words, when I'm playing, all the time I'm going through the volume, but when I'm using either fuzz or wah-wah, I knock a different pedal which brings in a different circuit for the fuzz and the wah-wah. When I'm not using them I press a button and knock them out of the circuit so that the circuit shortens, and I keep up my gain. I also use a Watkins Kopy Kat echo unit. It's all right, but it's not particularly good. It suffices for what I want, which is not really a lot of echo effects but just a slight edge, because the sound on stage is very dead in a lot of halls I play in. It really doesn't matter what kind of fuzz box you use. It has more to do with the state of mind.

But if somebody wanted to obtain the same sound you got, wouldn't it be important to know what type of fuzz you were using?

No. I can get that same sound with every kind of fuzz box I've ever used. It's not a question of equipment."

Bassomatic

+1 of course
But my favorite solo might be from The Roches' Hammond Song.
Gorgeous.

In the same approach as his beautiful diatonic solo from Crimson's 'The Night Watch' (studio version).

As to the OP, I also love his ripping, punky approach on 'Blank Frank'. In general, I think his solo work on Eno's 'Another Green World' is more sublime. Just stunningly beautiful.

ethan walker

Wasn't familiar w/the Burns Buzzaround, of course it's ultra rare and incredibly expensive! But I found a lot of info on building one, looks easy if I can find the mojo transistors. I'm going to check out the tunes recommended above, I've never heard the Roches or Night Watch, thanks for the tips-

Ethan

randall g

Love it -

Saw him on the solo Frippertronics Tout in 1980 or so when he played Tower Records in Hollywood, for free. He then talked to us all in the parking lot after the show.

Do you like his playing on David Sylvian's "Gone to Earth"?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom