Any love for Guild?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by elambo, Jul 16, 2006.

1. elambo

elambo Member

They're not very expensive - their flagship selling for somewhere just under $2k - but I've become a big fan. I'm a self-admitted acoustic guitar snob, most of my guitars costing over $3k, but I played a D-55 today that was my favorite in the shop (among the 10 or 15 I played).

A friend plays a D-55 (a gift to him from Slash, of all people) and he gets one of the best tones from an acoustic guitar I've ever heard. Certainly much of the tone is his playing technique, which is outstanding, but even when he plays my Collings his basic "tone" is more or less similar to mine. But that D-55 of his, and even the one I played today, has a mid-range that I really crave. It's very strong and BIG. Recorded, it's substantial in the track. It plays pretty easily, to boot.

So any love for Guild?

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Really underrated guitars and yes, the D-55 is a monster. I have a friend who has a D-55 from the late 60s (Westerly RI era). I've been trying to buy it from her but she ain't budging. All of their electrics are very undervalued as well. Many Starfires are as good or better than many 335s.

3. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Huge Guild fan. Currently, I only own the X-170 Manhattan, but I'm continually browsing for the D-55 you all mention, as well as mahaogony D-25's, and on and on. This sounds hyperbolic, but I've never played a Guild I didn't like.

4. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    I'm the proud new owner of a Guild D-55. I've been craving one for the last 8-9 years and finally got one just last week. Picked it up in Orange, CA and hand carried it home.

5. elambo

elambo Member

Congrats euewong. That's a long time to wait. How do you like it so far?

6. somecafone

somecafone Member

I have not been knocked out by the acoustics I've played until just recently.
    I played a D50 or 60. I can't remember which but it's part of their new "Bluegrass" series. Rosewood, sitka, etc. Assembled in Tacoma.
    It sounded very, very, good.

7. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    elambo,

I'm absolutely crazy about it. Everything I every look for in a dreadnaught is right there in the my D55. My friend's dad has an old 70's or 80's Westerly built D55 that is my benchmark for an acoustic guitar and mine is 95% there. The missing 5% will be there after I beat on it for the next 20 years.

Funny story if anybody cares to read, it took me this long to get my hands on a D55 because I don't have enough faith to have an acoustic guitar shipped overseas.

I kind of plan a vacation to the US every 2-3 years. And the during the last 2 trips, I could never find a D-55 anywhere. First time round, the Guilds were made in the Corona factory, and the reviews were terrible...I could never find one anyway. 2nd time round, Fender had just moved the Guild production to Washington and there were no new Guilds on the market at all. This time I made sure I wasn't come home empty handed.

8. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

My first ever guitar was/is a Guild D-50 made in Rhode island in the early 70s.

It still sounds very good and plays fine. I have some higher end acoustics now and the Guild hangs right in there with them. if i remember right a co-worker who played heard I was interested in starting and took me to a pawn/music shop in Phila. After checking a lot of guitars (I couldn't play a chord then) he sugggested the Guild at $300 was a good deal.

Uh, yeah. Sounds better now than when I bought it and is tough as hell. It sat in its case unloved, unplayed, no thought to special care (but in house not garage) for over 20 years. When I decided to take it up again I took it to a luthier and he set it up again and no problelms found.

And I "think" I could get my $300 back it I wanted it. :JAM

9. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

I've been playing a Guild DCE-5 for live shows since 1993. I then bought an identical back-up DCE-5 in 1997 and still have both. They're workhorses and sound great - live and in the studio.

10. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I've got a late seventies D40 cutaway that I absolutely love. It records really well.

11. anyone

anyone Member

70s d35. Beat to heck. Plays well and sounds incredible. Keeper for sure!

12. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

People have been saying good things about the new Guild guitars built up in the tacoma plant. I sold my JF55 12 sting rosewood about 6 years ago, and I still miss it. I'm thinking of getting a new one.

13. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

I custom ordered a lefty D-55 in '93 and absolutely love it. I couldn't find a decent lefty anywhere and decided to take my chances on the custom order. Its hard for me not being able to play a lot of stuff before I buy, but this one hit the mark for me. Great guitar!

14. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

I have a 35 yr. old F50R Navarre. It was the top of the line model for years. Has the 'emperor neck' which i'd say is one of the best necks i've played. And you can't beat it for large sound

15. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

I'll second the DCE-5. Wish I could have kept it, but it left when my PRS hit the bank account. And now the PRS is gone........gas gas gas gas

16. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have owned a few Guild and Gibson hollow bodies (60's Starfire III and a recent SF IV); I have also played a few vintage acoustic guilds and I can't agree more. The acoustics may not be consistent but the good ones are great. The Blues Birds are nice too.

I hope Fender doesn't mess them up.

The electrics are so under valued it's a shame. I would say that most Starfire IV's and especially the V's (when you can find them) are as good as any 335 and better than most. Both of mine were killer guitars. I sold them only during cash poor situations becasue I figured I can always get another since they are under the radar - so don't let the cat out of the bag.

I have a late 70's X-500 now: Killer Jazz box that rivals any high end gibson.

17. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

years ago I had a G-37blond maple mini jumbo. Even though it wasn't one of their high end models this guitar had an unbeleivable tone. Everytime a recorded with it engineers would freak out at how great it sounded. That was until UPS smashed it coming back from a road trip...still hurts till this day...It was a beuty!!!

18. Steven5446

Steven5446 Member

I have D-55 from 1979. It sounds and plays really good. Only thing is that she is in need of a fret job.

[​IMG]

19. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I've got a guild D28 acoustic and a DeArmond/Guild X-155 Jazzbox and love them both! Both were really affordable (actually, I was given the acoustic, but...) and they both sound and feel fantastic!

Great values IMO.

Rick

20. criv

criv Member

I bought a 1986 Guild D-25 tobacco burst a year ago. Great guitar! Big sound. I am experimenting with different strings. Any advice?