1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

any love for HARMONIC DESIGN p'ups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SW33THAND5, May 16, 2011.

1. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

i never really see these come up or too many people really talk about them...

I bought a tele that had a set of vintage plus p'ups in it. i had never really had any dealings or heard these pick-ups in person. after one year with the guitar i love these p'ups. they retain the clarity but have a beautiful overdrive and grit when pushed. kinda like a slightly less aggressive p90, but with better balance. they are not bright/muddy/or mid rangey. just a really nicely balanced pick-up. i highly recommend them!!

[​IMG]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The best pickup I've ever heard" • Robben Ford[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"You should be very proud of these"[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]• Larry Carlton[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Those pickups basically changed my life" • Carmen Grillo/Tower Of Power[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Beautiful, how [/FONT]

wanna try something a little different? try them!

:munch

2. DavidMgT

DavidMgT Member

I have a pair of Z90s waiting for the right guitar!

3. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Their S-90 is absolutely AMAZING. Great company to deal with, too.

To me, they are right up there with the very best pickup builders (like Lollar, Fralin, etc.) out there.

4. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

My experience is with his P90 inspired pickups in other shapes and sizes, in tele type guitars. S90, Z90, and Superchrome. All are great pickups IMO.

I also have a fair amount of listening experience of an excellent player who has a 335 with Z90s, and in his hands anyway that's also a great combo.

5. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I've only tried the Tele pickups. The Mini Strat neck and Vintage Plus neck were both very good. The Super-90 bridge is UNF#%KING-real! I've been using that one exclusively in my Tele since around '96 or '97.

I would love to try a pair of his P-90's in my ES-135 too.

YMMV,

Stormin!

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Harmonic Design has been making great pickups for years. The Humbuckers also sound great, and I'm a huge fan of the Z-90 and Tele pickups as well. I'm sure the STrat pickups sound good, but I've never played 'em.

Scott Peterson (NOT TGP's Scott P, but a fella by the same name owns Harmonic Design) is knowledgeable and pleasant to work with, and he has great ears!

Thanks, Dana O.

7. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Z-90s are unique and awesome.

8. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

I've only tried the Tele Vintage + (neck and bridge) and the S-90 Tele bridge, but absolutely love all three, really dig 'em.

9. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

I had a set of his strat pups that were killer.

10. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i tried an S-90 once and didnt care much for it...kinda muffled and murky sounding. maybe i had a bad one...

11. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

have a super 90 in the bridge of my tele...sometimes i like it and sometimes jury's out...backing off the volume cleans em up nicely...i think i like the mm-90 in the bridge of my ernie ball better....that was the sound i was hoping for, but it didnt happen...the super 90 seems more aggressive, not a bad thing...just different

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  12. davetcan

davetcan Member

Love the V+ and S-90 in a Tele. Recently picked up a set of Strat pups from Scott and was equally impressed. Scott was great to deal with as usual.

13. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

The humbuckers are very nice. I had them in a guitar at the same time that I had another loaded with Tom Holmes humbuckers. They complimented eachother nicely.

14. SMark

SMark Member

I'm BIG fan of the Super 90 and Vintage Plus Strat pups. I have them in one of my Strats and it's my go-to Strat because it sounds so good. Hear them in my YT video...

15. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

that was really good...can't believe nobody in that place gave a crap (pisses me off)....or so it seemed...i think you sounded really good!

16. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

I have a S-90 in my Esquire, and it's a killer, killer pickup. It just screams with gain, but doesn't sound muddy or overly compresed. Fantastic clarity, and it cleans up really well. Love it!

17. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Vintage Plus in my Blackguard Esquire. Best sounding pickup I have ever heard / played. It was relic'ed to match the Guitar. Swamp Ash / Maple.

I have another V+ that was relic'ed by HD for my other Esquire...and I wasn't thrilled with it, so I swapped it for an Antiquity. Alder / Rosewood...with an Aluminum B16 Bridge. It was too "brash". I think it had too much for the "thinner" sounding bridge.

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I can recommend HD VP-90 pickups. They've been in my Orville LP Special for a long time. Excellent. Big, clear tone. They have volume and power, don't break up early. I'm just about to try a Thorn P-90 in the neck, just to see how that flavor blends. Don't think I could ever pull that bridge p/u out. It just has this cool sound!

MD

19. SMark

SMark Member

Thanx. I was playing at a small wedding reception and was pretty much in the background the whole time. In the end, many came up to me and showed their appreciation. It was a fun little gig.

20. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

One of the best sounds I ever got was playing a friend's PRS with Z-90's in it thru a Trainwreck Express.