1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any love for Harry Fleishman

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by drbob1, Feb 2, 2005.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Sorry I can't host pics right now-Harry built a guitar for a Peter Guarino several years back, didn't turn out to be what Peter wanted so I was able to purchase it. Harry almost exclusively builds high buck ($10k+) acoustics but Peter talked him into this electric-headless, rosewood neck with rosewood board, slanted frets/bridge, 3 Bartolini singles with active preamp and piezo bridge. All hand carved semi-hollow body-the frame seems built of spruce, the back birdseye maple and the top burled walnut. Because it's semi-hollow it's extremely light, it has a bright acoustic tone with very little clack or clank from the frets and the electric tone is strat bright or slightly brighter. Fretwork is impeccable and the wood carving and finishing is just exquisite, binding is abalone I believe and very tasteful. It can't weigh more than 5#.

Harry's part of the Colorado guild of Luthiers and does a lot of teaching. If you run into him, wish him well for me. Props to a real artist...

2. guitonit

guitonit Member

I love Harry's work!! I used to visit him from time to time when I lived in Boulder. It was always an afternoon trip, had to have tea, etc., but it was always a joy to see someone do something that they love so much. His Assymetrical Acoustics are a trip!! With the split top of redwood and Sitka spruce, the tone was unbelievable to say the least. I fell out of touch with him when I moved to Nashville in 94, but it was always nice seeing local bass legend Dave Pomeroy playing one of Harry's electric uprights. I now understand that Harry has moved to Northern California to build his instruments.

Scott A.

3. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

+1

Harry is a nut. I love him.

He invited me to do a panel discussion on Guitar Design at a Guild of American Luthiers convention. He was on the panel and the MC. He started out the lecture very serious and professional and then complained of a rock in his shoe. He then took off his shoe to check it out and out came this huge boulder about the size of a fist.
    He did the same gag the next time I saw him, at the begining of his lecture about inlay work, several years later.

Hilarious.

Oh, yes and he is an incredible luthier!

4. stratt

stratt Member

Harry is not only a great luthier, but a really fun guy to hang out with. He is now in Sebastapol, California. (About an hour north of San Francisco.) Besides his cool acoustics and electrics, he also does design work for some larger guitar companies as well as teaches classes in guitar making. I would suggest anyone who is not familiar with him, check out his work.

5. David Myka

David Myka Gold Supporting Member

Harry is a great builder and an excellent teacher. I took one of his classes on acoustic guitar building to get a different perspective on the why's since I already knew the how's (as far as what has been written about). After a two week intensive I came away with a completely different take on acuostic guitars. First I tossed out all conventional ideas about bracing. Then he taught me how to think about bracing so that I could design my own style and develop a unique tone in my instruments. His insight is incredible and so is his quick wit.

His headless electrics are also very cool. He had a few guitars in progress when I visited and one was a sitka spruce body with a rosewood burl top (super cool) and solid bubinga neck. Wow, what a great guitar!

I highly recommend any of his classes for both acoustic and electric instruments: Class list

6. Shades

Shades Member

Harry is a talented luthier, quick wit and all around interesting guy. I particularly like his electric bass stuff but everything he touches has a decided Fleishman flair, very well thought out designs. I first met him years back at GAL. Later, I got to check out quite a lot of his acoustic stuff. (for a while, the finishes were being done at my shop in San Jose.) I learned more than a few things about keeping a crowd's interest from Harry's lectures at GAL and NCAL, something I greatly appreciated later when I was teaching classes at the American School of Lutherie in Healdsburg. Harry is as entertaining and talented as they come.

7. Wow! Thanks for the really nice things you all said. Aw Shucks, what a way to start the day. I'm in Sebastopol, now, one hour north of SF. The address is Fleishman Instruments, 1533 Welter Ct. Sebastopol, CA 95472
    Email: guitars@sbcglobal.net 707-823-3537
    For the record, the second time I used that gag, I said there was somthing in my sandal, took it off, and out fell another shoe! Pretty dumb, eh? I stole that bit from a guy in Boulder who did great magic and had a pet parrakeet. I'm thinking of having a Marshall stack in my shoe at the next presentation.

8. Oh yeah, I'm teaching a class May 14-27, Hands-on guitarmaking, in which you start from lumber and build a guitar, from scratch, during an unbelieveably intense two weeks. Build either nylon or steel string, from several choices of design and with the intent of understanding the WHY as much as the HOW of guitars. I want you to leave able to make YOUR guitars, not mine. I have two spaces left, with a max of six per class, so if you are interested, please contact me soon.
    In July Fabio Ragghianti is coming over from Tuscany to teach classical building. His class is very popular, so if you are interested, contact me soon. Email if you have questions, or call. guitars@sbcglobal.net 707-823-3537

9. guitonit

guitonit Member

Harry!!!

Great to see you here. I used to come by the shop with my buddy Jim Costello back when you were in Boulder. Always enjoyed seeing what was in the shop. You had one of my favorite guitar quotes ever- Jim came in with his Ovation to get the neck adjusted, and you said, "I need to know more about helicopter mechanics to work on this thing than luthiery"

Once again, glad to have you here!

Scott A.

10. has-sound

has-sound Member

I loved my Fleishman B-IV. I wish I still had it (stolen 15 years ago). Hondo also made a cool copy of the B-IV that was called the "Flash". I would also like to find one of these in good condition. I collect unique headless basses.

-Stan

11. pesocaster

pesocaster Member

Hey Harry....

I was that Kid that lived across the street in Denver on Humboldt street (about 20 years ago)..

Cool to see you still making instruments!

Cheers,
    Rob

here... you may recognize me this way... hahahhahahha

[​IMG]