• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Any love for Hiwatt?

lpd

Silver Supporting Member
Just picked up a 1977 Hiwatt DR505 for next to nothing in need of a tune up. New tubes, cleanup, pot cleaning and I'm up and running. What a tone machine. Through my 412 cab with vintage greenbacks it sounds amazing.

Any other DR505 owners here?

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Hiwatt is one of the few brands I've yet have to play. Judging by some modeled versions (which probably are far off still), I know I'd love one! :)

Custom50

There are several hiwatt love threads but hell yes I have love for Hiwatt. My user name is Hiwatt derived. Have owned 2 vintage heads, 2 vintage 4x12 and 1 clone head. I don't own any of them anymore unfortunately, sold them a few years back to fund some education, but they are glorious amps.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
DR505? I am not overly familiar with HIWAtts....had a 103 over 20 years ago for a short while. I see a schematic for a DR-504....is this the amp?? INTeresting gain/gain/tone stack structure, if so. Sort of a hot amp, isn't it...if you want it to be, I suppose.

lpd

Silver Supporting Member
It is a hot amp if you plug into brilliant channel. Both the normal/brilliant are cascaded together. The normal is on its own though and I can get a decent clean just not a trim reverb type clean :/

jlinde

Pete Townshend the Who. Possibly some of the greatest overdriven tones ever in history.

jlinde

Watch "the kids are alright". There is tons of footage of Townshend with his hiwatts. Epic tones! Killer documentary.

kevin hart

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a used early '70's HiWatt 100 head and 4x12 cab in 1975 or 76. That combo sounded killer.

Fulldrive-1

Not really. I had a DR103 100 watter back in the late seventies. Way too clean and tame. Sold it and got a 100 watt Marshall and it's been marshall ever since.

I think it would have been a different story had modern pedals been available. A fulldrive or Pinnacle should sound awesome through one of those Hiwatts today.

jdel77

Wonderful dry feeling crunch on those old 103's.
Of course by then your eyes are being depressed back in your skull and you're standing in a pool of your own urine from the sheer sound pressure of those Partridge tranny's, but man what a sound.

Trending Topics