Any love for Larry Carlton on Joni Mitchell's "Help Me"?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by szechuan, Apr 29, 2012.

1. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I met Mike Post through a mutual friend many years ago. He said 'Next time you are in LA come to my office and I'll play you some Larry Carlton tapes where he's really playing'. Sadly, I never cashed in on the offer.

Lucidology likes this.
  2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Cool... Have not seen that one yet ...

3. lon

lon Member

I agree with this. In some of the instructional materials like the early StarLicks videos/CD he talked about how he would stack chord on chord as a way to navigate through a tune. Somehow, he mixes a perfect amount of linear playing with triad on triad and some tasteful blues bends.

Listen to the solo on Donald Fagan's Nightfly album- "New Frontier" and check out how he moves through the solo: Starting on the 4 chord (A)
    Nice blues bends back to Tonic (E) - When he comes to the Amaj7 D9b5 C11 (Gm9/C) passage into a C11b5 partial triad (Bb Gb A) before resolving to E

He's just really tasteful.

4. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I bought a red 335 because of Mr. Carlton. I'm not even close to his playing ability, but I've always loved the tone he got from his 335.
    I met him once, when his wife came to play at a church years ago. He is a really nice guy.

harmonicator likes this.
  5. lhallam

lhallam Member

I have some guitar charts Larry wrote out for Steely Dan. He knew exactly what chords he was playing.

Comet01 and lon like this.
  6. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

One of my biggest influences.

7. blueworm

blueworm Member

I like LC playing on 'Help Me'. In fact I love the song.

But I like Carlton's playing even more on Joni's subsequent album. The swelling/slithering notes on 'Don't interrupt The Sorrow' always get me (and there's Robben Ford playing the acoustic on that track)

8. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

Another huge LC fan here! I listen to a lot of smooth jazz, so besides his rock/pop playing I listen to his work with Fourplay as well as his more recent solo recordings.
    Can't beat some Larry Carlton mixed with some Lee Ritenour!
    BTW I didn't realize that his signature on the back of the headstock of the Valley Arts LC Custom model was a real signature...I recently donated mine to a fundraiser.

9. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

I like Neapolitan ice cream.

10. lhallam

lhallam Member

Old thread, no one answered your question. The answer is yes, it's a Db. In the key of C the neopolitan ii chord is basically a Db major typically in first inversion. It is being substituted for a IV chord.

So in C major you play a Db major instead of an F major. This voicing leads/resolves very nicely into the V chord (in this case G).

Play this progression, it will probably sound familiar.

1-x-x-1-2-x = F-Ab-Db
    3-x-5-4-3-x = G-G-B-D
    x-3-x-0-1-0 = C-G-C-E

Or anything similar. Just be sure to play the F-Ab-Db, then a G chord, then a C chord. You can also end on a C minor chord.

What is happening is the F note is going up to G while the Ab is resolving down to G while also resolving up to a B and the Db is resolving up to D while also going down to B.

The classical guys originally came up with this kind of progression which is where the word neopolitan comes from.

tone4days likes this.