Any love for Motown?

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I don't see much about Motown musicians on TGP. The Funk Brothers, Marv Tarplin...these guys were tremendous musicians who had and continue to have a huge impact on music.

I recently saw Smokey on TV with Elvis Costello. His voice is still soft as velvet..silky.

These guys had great tone and could write classic songs at the drop of a hat. Did they influence your playing or taste in music?

loudboy

They influenced every pop/rock musician who came after them.

Quite a run they had...

hk45acp

I'm a huge Motown fan even though a lot of what I play is garage punk and new wave. I think that bands of that genre from the 80's took a lot of cues from the music of the 60's and 70's esp. the Motown stuff

Steve Foley

Man, I LOVE the Motown stuff. :aok

I was a ROCKER, for sure, "back in the day", but never lost my Motown love.

Now, "Disco", on the other hand....... :puh:stir:nuts

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
Motown was my first love for music. Still is a huge part of me. I love almost everything that came out on Motown.

Bassomatic

The history of pop and rock would be unimaginable without Motown. Especially the contributions of James Jamerson (regarding whom much virtual ink has been spilled on TGP, if memory serves).

Jaco has listed Jamerson as a huge influence, and one can hear him in McCartney's playing, too (the Beatles were definitely big Motown fans). Sooo many major and minor bassists site JJ as a major influence. And then there's Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, etc etc etc.

jmecale72

When I was growing up...Motown was constantly played at my house. I guess it didn't that my dad played too and there was always some kind of music being played. But the Motown stuff in particular has an impression on me.

panoramic

I grew up in detroit so of course I have love for Motown, i probably know 50% of those songs by heart even though I haven't heard them in years, aside from the Supremes and Marvin Gaye whom i still listen to often.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
The history of pop and rock would be unimaginable without Motown. Especially the contributions of James Jamerson (regarding whom much virtual ink has been spilled on TGP, if memory serves).

Jaco has listed Jamerson as a huge influence, and one can hear him in McCartney's playing, too (the Beatles were definitely big Motown fans). Sooo many major and minor bassists site JJ as a major influence. And then there's Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, etc etc etc.
And I hear Jamerson in a lot of John Paul Jones' work in Led Zeppelin, especially on the Houses of the Holy LP.

Bobby D

just did some recording at the POWER STATION....and they had THESE eq units from Motown.....used them on some guitar tracks...

very cool to play thru units that recorded a lot of the CLASSIC stuff from MOTOWN.

jpervin

Motown in it's heyday was an awesome music-making machine. It would be something special to go back 40-45 years and sit in that basement studio in that house and watch The Funk Brothers do its thing with all those artists.

Diana Ross & The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Jackson 5, Martha & The Vandellas, Gladys Knight & The Pips...and all those hits they had! Wow!!!

Nobody makes music like that anymore.

Marty s Horne

It's great music that has stood the test of time. I can't get through a gig without at least a couple requests for Motown tunes.

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Gold Supporting Member
motown in it's heyday was an awesome music-making machine. It would be something special to go back 40-45 years and sit in that basement studio in that house and watch the funk brothers do its thing with all those artists.

Diana ross & the supremes, stevie wonder, marvin gaye, the four tops, the temptations, smokey robinson & the miracles, the jackson 5, martha & the vandellas, gladys knight & the pips...and all those hits they had! Wow!!!

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000!

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
Motown in it's heyday was an awesome music-making machine. It would be something special to go back 40-45 years and sit in that basement studio in that house and watch The Funk Brothers do its thing with all those artists.

Diana Ross & The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Jackson 5, Martha & The Vandellas, Gladys Knight & The Pips...and all those hits they had! Wow!!!

Great way to sum it up :aok

Trending Topics