Any love for PRS McCartys?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by johan, Sep 8, 2006.

1. johan

johan Member

Looking for a solid body humbucker guitar. Tried a couple of Les Pauls but they felt lifeless. No vintage pieces but LP Stds from the last 10 years. Had a PRS McCarty years ago but never got along with it since I was a single-coil player at the time. Now I've switched amps and love my 335. Want to try a solid body HB guitar again.
    What's opinion on McCarty's vs. Gibson LP's? :)

2. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Of all the PRS guitars by far my faves are theMcCartys. I particularly like the Soapbar version. But in the end I have a '56 Historic LP which just seems to have more character to it. I found that the PRS was kinda TOO perfect! No lumps and bumps, it performed flawlessly but had no distinct personality of it's own.

The '56 is not unflawed but has a liveliness and character which make me want to play it. It is a very light LP BTW - just on 8lbs. Bloody fickle buggers us guitarists, aren't we? :)

3. 900

900 Member

I've been a single-coil player for years myself. My opinion: get/find a good CU22 and you basically have the best of both worlds. Maybe you'll have to check a few models to find it, but it's possible.

I bought a CU22 this spring and it sounds beefier than most LP/McCarthy's I've tried to date. In addition, in pos. 7 and 9 of the rotary switch, you get very strat-like sounding tones.

4. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

I think of a McCarty as a "Les Paul Lite". It´s more open, more modern sounding (whatever that really means), but lacks that typical Les Paul growl. Both are good guitar but when you want a real good Les Paul you should look for the Reissue series. The lower-priced, regular production Gibson are not as good as a PRS. OTOH a lot of players swap the PRS pickups for some sort of hot PAFs. IMHO, YMMV etc.....

5. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the McCarty's, but get one with an all Rosewood neck, as it feels much smoother when playing IMO. The fundamental tones of mine (unplugged) are great, but the PRS McCarty PUP's get a little too muddy and hide too much of that fundamental tone for my taste so I'll be swapping them soon.

6. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Absolutely love my McCarty. Swapped out the pickups for S-D's, but other than that it rings like a bell and makes playing a joy!

I'll always tell people - if you want a Les Paul sound, get a Les Paul. If you're willing to find your voice with a PRS, you will have a hard time finding a dud.

McCarty's are wonderful humbucker guitars.

7. goof1073

goof1073 Member

Can't go wrong with a McCarty...

...my main guitar for the past few years has been a McCarty with a rosewood neck and PRS #7's.

8. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I'm a McCarty fan too. At times I think about swapping pickups but I have found the voice of the guitar to work pretty well for what I do so I've left it stock.

I've always thought of it as a more rock oriented guitar tone than my Les Paul, which has more growl but doesn't quite have the same bite.

9. whitehall

whitehall Member

I really like the McCarty. But they are just not popular guitars. Why ? , well for one thing there aren't 100's of kids on the forums whining about how their $200 copies blow them away. ;)

10. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

McCarty's are great guitars. Had one, liked the feel, fit and finish but it sounded "thin" to me and sold it.

Replaced it with a Hamer Studio Custom and could not be happier.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Good question. I've never been a fan of LPs because there's very limited access to the upper frets and I prefer single volume and tone controls. The McCarty offers somewhat similar sound to an LP, in a much more playable, ergonomic package.

However, Gibson recently released the LP DC Pro, which is basically a LP Standard with a double cut and single controls, unlike previous DCs which had 24 frets and weird pickup placement. Now I have the DC Pro and a McCarty the McCarty is on ebay. The Gibson just has that real LP sound, whereas to me, the McCarty is more like a hybrid SG/335 sound. It's a great sounding guitar, but it isn't an LP.

So for me I like the McCarty much better than the standard single cut Les Paul, but I like the DC Pro Les Paul better than the McCarty.

12. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I have a McCarty with a IRW neck and absolutely love the guitar! Looks, and sounds great, and is very easy to play. I seem to be able get a really nice Allman Bros. tone in the middle position.

Joe

13. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I sold a really nice LP Classic to buy my Custom 22. I love the PRS, it is a fantastic instrument. It misses a little of the bottom tightness of a LP, but it has really great tone. My next guitar may seriously be a McCarty, I'd like the thicker body. PRS makes great instruments. Some people don't bond with them, I didn't when I first played them. I don't know why things are different now. Maybe the Doctor/Lawyer Image has something to do with it.

14. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I've been through a couple of McCartys, and hope to grab another someday. Being mainly a tele player, I like the bit of "snap" you still get with the 25" scale. No, it does not have the girth of a Les Paul. Think of it as an upscale humbucker equipped set-neck tele...:)
    I would switch out the pickups if I had one at the moment, the stock are just a bit dull and overly mid focused to my ears (and many others, apparently)

15. MCG

MCG Member

I wanted a McCarty for years, and finally got one a few months ago and I happy with it. Be warned that the McCarty pickups are a bit dark to begin with. My Mc has Seths in it and I like them much better.

Now as others have said there is a big diffrence between a LP and McCarty. A Les Paul has a much deeper bass and more low mids. To me the McCartys are closer to a SG tone wise, but still there own animal.

I recently changed the tone cap in my Mc from the PRS ceramic .022 to a .015 to give me more of a mid-range honk with the tone rolled down. This mod along with the Seths tilts the tone a bit more towards the Gibson side of the fence, but it still sounds like a PRS.

I play in a two guitar band and our other guitarist plays Les Pauls. I think the LP and Mc sound great together.

MCG

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I had 1 about 5 yrs ago and had the same experience. I just recieved another on from Daves......a 2001 thats SICK. Of course it came with WCR Fillmores..........:AOK

17. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

I think a lot of the tone differences between a LP and a McCarty are the body shapes. Tom Anderson has good descriptions of how a Single Cut body sounds different than a Double cutaway. I would tend to think that a Singlecut McCarty model would get closer to the LP sound. I'm not sure how much the 1/4" scale differentiation would make on the overall sound.

18. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I've seen TA demonstrate those differences in person! But actually, the double cut McCs come closer to "LP tone" than the single cut ones. That's partly because the SCs have pretty different pickups and partly because the SCs have a very non-LP neck joint. With the right pickups, a McCarty can come frighteningly close (case in point: Babaji's old McCarty with Rolphs) or at least give you a tone that would make you think you could just leave your old Les Paul at home. It's certainly my favorite flavor of PRS, although in my case I'm partial to the Modern Eagle version!

19. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

yes, much love here. especially McTrems !

20. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

You should buy mine in the guitar emporium. Sorry for the shameless plug. They reallly are awesome guitars. Very modern sounding-tight and focused. I think they give Les Pauls a god run for their movey however I feel less pauls are more rough around the edges and not a refined.