Any love for Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cheebatone, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

A group of us were having a 'Absolute MINIMUM amount of guitars' discussion last night. We agreed on a Les Paul Custom, a Martin Dreadnaught, a Nashville Tele (to accommodate the Stratophiles), a McCarty Soapbar and a 175.

When I proposed a Rickenbacker 360/12 everyone looked at me as if I was mad! I've only ever played one, once, years ago, through a Jazz Chorus 120 and it sounded like Heaven on Earth! Big and lush, full of jingle-jangle - Bloody marvellous in fact!

Then it dawned on me that I've NEVER seen anybody mention them on TGP. Are they that bad? Does anyone in here even own one?

2. Antero

Antero Member

They do sound good... the one I tried seemed to have the courses too close together, though, not a great player.

3. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I own a 370/6 and I love playing it but it's not by far my favorite or most veristile guitar. Limited sound, narrow neck keep it in the stand most of the time. But the sound it does make is great. For 12 strings these days I'm loving my 10 string Bich which gives me a great melodic sound, complex but not over baring, just right(maybe because it's not a full 12 string?) And it also has a great neck, wide but not oversized, easy to play

4. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

660-12. The Tom Petty model minus the tacky signature pickguard. Wide neck, solid body, all the cosmetic upgrades. If you need or want a 12 string electric it's the one.

5. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

I personally love the 330 Rickenbakers I have a 330 six xtring that I love. Yea I know narrow neck and all but run it through a Trace Elliot Velocette and it's sounds great. I would love to eventually get a 330-12 just to have one. Oh the color fireglow the only color for a Rick.

6. Ogre

Ogre Member

There was a 6-string Tom Petty model, that had wider string spacing. I love how they sound, but every one I have played required too much effort. I salute them for telling Guitar Center to take a hike.

7. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I have a Left-Handed 370-12. They made the necks on these WAY too thin, It is not easy to play with the strings so close together.
    I do love the Rick 12 string tone though.

8. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I much prefer my Danelectro 12 to the Rickenbackers I've played. After swapping in Duncan lipsticks and decent pots/caps, installing a new nut, and getting a pro setup and fret polish, it's a smoking guitar that plays great, is light as a feather, has jangle tone to die for, and all-in costs half of a Ricky.

The deal sealer, though: Rickenbackers don't come in purple sparkle. :D

- DB

9. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Hey-I've got a Dano 12 too-white sparkle. I never thought about throwing any money at it, but maybe I should revisit tweaking it a bit. It records well, and I use it mostly for simple doubletracking type stuff.

I still want a 660-12 though:dude

10. RICFREAK

RICFREAK Member

Reviving an old thread .......

[​IMG]

Yes , there is love for RICs !

11. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Yep! Only one thing sounds like a Ric!

[​IMG][/url]

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

My main player is a 4001 ( I am a bassist). I don't care much for their guitars though.

13. mbargav

mbargav Member

[​IMG]

Got rid of the 660/12, and I still have the 360/6. Nice guitars, but not ones I'd put on an "absolute minimum" list.

14. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

B7 Panda.

Marvelous Bakelite steel.

Ricky's rule!~

15. BKL71

BKL71 Member

I have played Rickenbackers for over 20 years and I don't understand how anyone could say they aren't versatile. I have played every style of music under the sun with them, and they have sounded great every time. I agree that the string spacing takes some getting used to, but once you do that, the sky is the limit with a Rick. I also own Fenders, Gibsons, ESPs and other brands, and my Rick 360 was the guitar that I took to the gig the other night.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  16. Rick N Boogie

Rick N Boogie Member

Also a bassist, (with several Ric basses), but recently pared down my guitar collection to ONE guitar, a Ric 330 in Ruby.

17. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

Lots of love for Rics here.
    [​IMG]

18. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

My favorite Ric, 360WB with Toasters, and it's Pre-Fender Gretsch Sparkle Jet buddy.
    [​IMG]

19. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

20. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I'm currently Ric-less, but I love their look and sound. While I prefer a good Strat for my workhorse #1 six string, a Ric 12 always gave me goosebumps and I tried to work my last 370-12 or 381-12 into songs in my band's set list. I tried to make a Ric 6 string work for me but a good Strat always won that battle...still, neither would do what the other was capable of doing.