Any love for Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cheebatone, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Buick8

Buick8 Member

Many think the necks are too narrow but I do not. Also like the neck on the fender 52 reissue Telecaster

2. troyli

troyli Member

I played one once & I loved it but sadly I can't afford one.
    :bkw [​IMG] :peenut

3. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Of course it's ok to disagree. Didn't mean to sound too terse.
    I'm just curious as to why anyone would think RIC should change their current approach when it's proven to be successful for them without having to compromise. I don't know Hall from Adam nor do I care to. It's a completely objective POV. Consumers are fickle and there's too many different types of them. Trying to make something for everybody generally would involve some sort of compromise or a ramping up of production which would lead to more compromises.........unless prices are jacked-up and THAT isn't in the consumer's best interest.

[​IMG]

;)

4. RJLII

RJLII Member

Very sharp! I've never found a Ric neck I could get along with. Damn shame I'm so petty that way.

5. conanb

conanb Member

I think, with regards to the neck, I've found that if I don't put the time in with my 325 I can't play it very well. It takes about an hour to find my feet with it if I haven't played it for a while. If I'm playing it every day then it gets super comfortable and I'm happy as a pig in ****.
    I sometimes play a big Gretsch for periods of time and when i go back to the Rick it's crazy how hard it is to play. But it's been my number 1 for the past few weeks and I'm loving playing it. Super comfortable and fast to play.

6. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

That's a 660 and it's neck is 1-3/4" wide at the nut with a sort of shredder profile. Might fit the bill for you.

7. kirkw

kirkw Supporting Member

I love my 360/6 and 620/6.

If you think they aren't versatile you've never given them a chance. Anything short of metal and these guitars can get there.
    I find the 620 to be more expressive than the 360.

But yes they are different than a strat or LP. They each have character of their own. You can't come at it like a more "popular" brand.

8. Kylef

Kylef Member

Traded my fireglo 330 for this. Weller tribute. I have longed for years for a white and black 330, the pink P is an added bonus. Still incredibly White for a 32 year old guitar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. conanb

conanb Member

Absolute stunner! Never seen one before, didn't even know they existed despite being a massive Weller fan. You're a very lucky man.

10. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I could never play a Ric 12 string as the necks were just to narrow and when chording would get a lot of muting from different fingers. But the sound is magical and no one used them better then George Harrison on all the early Beatles records=In a way it is the magical tone on the early Beatles albums. The way I have always heard the story was that Francis Hall then owner of Rickenbacker arranged a meeting in NY with the Beatles and George wasn't there and he gave John a 325 and a 12 string and John gave the 12 string to George. I know from reading an interview with Roger McGuinn that when he went to see A Hard Days Night and George playing his Ric 12 changed his life and made him what I would call the second most innovative user of that model. McGuinn had his own sound with it which used a lot of compression. I just don't understand why the company is so hard headed and for decades wouldn't work on spacing out the strings so it would be more comfortable to play. I didn't even know about the Petty model until reading through this thread. Some years ago I Read an interview with a bunch of top session players from the 60's who were talking about electric 12 strings and they were all stating most players figured they were hearing Rickenbackers but they were Fender XII's. I honestly have to checkout a Tom Petty model now after reading they are comfortable to play with a wider string spacing= But what the hell took them so long!

11. urizen

urizen Member

Yeah, regards the neck and some folks' complaints, I had a '67 330 as my first good guitar when I was 13 going on 14 way back in the wayback, and that was my only guitar for years. I loved how "quick" the neck was, but I could never play my friends' Fenders/Gibsons/etc. guitars worth a damn when I borrowed/swapped from them in a jam; the necks felt like weird alien territory for reasons I couldn't understand, and I just embarrassed myself on them so often that I got shy about playing out altogether because (in my ignorance/inexperience) I never realized that the problem had to do solely with what I was used to (in conjunction w/ my own head) and was compounded by a lot of my friends being self-proclaimed blues purists, insisting "You can't play blooze on a Rickenbacker, foo!" though they grudgingly admitted my rockabilly stylings on the Ric were right-on (---unless I tried replicating them on a borrowed Strat or Paul).

Then I finally got a Tele and played it enough that I realized what the problem had really been only a matter of familiarity.

12. urizen

urizen Member

Love that tuxedo.

13. jakefmvermont

jakefmvermont Supporting Member

i have had a 330-6 for about 6 months. I loved it from the start...yes, the neck is thinner, but I definitely like it and have no troubles with it. I think the action is a bit high...but, that's just a set up.

I got a 620-12 about a month ago. I ordered it from an out of state GC...it is a beautiful amberglo...like a yellowed fireglo. it's gorgeous.

I liked it ok...but it didn't intonate and the strings were crap...rusty and old. in fact, when I got it the 2 high e strings were OVER the bridge cover (so much for the "oh yeah I set it up real nice for you").

I took it to my local GC and they gave it a set up with new strings...it is a very sweet sounding and playing guitar.

it took me a little to get used to the string spacing and narrow neck...but with a little effort I can play cleanly.

14. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

Since my post last year on this thread, I made some changes to my 330. I swapped the stock pickups for toasters, swapped the 'R' tailpiece, and strung her with flatwounds. My new amp helps too:phones

[​IMG]

15. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

16. RJLII

RJLII Member

I like a deep, round '50s style carve. I've got big mitts and the flat neck carves really get uncomfortable quick. As a result, they sit in their cases. Unfortunately, that eliminates a number of cool guitars from contention. No sense buying them if I'm not going to play them.

17. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

The current owner of Rickenbacker claims there's a constant 2 year back order so he sees no reason to change anything. Kinda makes sense from a business perspective...but maybe a few tweaks would get his backorder up to 5 years ;).