Any love for the 1965 Vox Pacemaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steadygarcia, May 18, 2008.

1. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

A friend of mine was just *given* a '65 Vox Pacemaker. It appears to be from the first or second year after Vox amps were made by the Thomas Organ company in the US. This is a tube model, and I think they only made tube models for a couple of years before they went solid state. Anyone know anything more about these amps? Love 'em, hate 'em?

2. cugel

cugel Member

i have a berkeley II el84, of course. its a great amp but i dont have the original celestion 10s
    i bought it wth a the cab from a ss head so it has lower grade speakers
    i dont like the particle board back panel. i dont play it much but its a great little amp played thru a weber silver pup and a blue pup in the cab now. mine may need a little tweaking. reverb is a bit weak but one of the coolest looking amps out there

3. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

I have had a '66 tube Pacemaker for years. At one time I had three of them plus two Cambridge Reverbs. The tube Pacemakers, Cambridge Reverbs and Berkeley Super Reverbs were manufactured for a very short period of time. I had a couple that dated by the transformers to the 25th week of 1965. The one I have right now (I think) dates to the 12th week of 1966. Great amps:cool:

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

^ The dates are on the transformer? Cool, I'll have to check it out. This one had handwritten on the metal right next to the inspection tag; "4 65", and then below that a "16". I took it to mean April 1965 and maybe the 16th one that month? Or year? This one has the original 10" Vox Bulldog speaker. Also has the original Vox 12aX7 preamp tubes.

5. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

Does the amp have a Fender style handle or Vox? Look at your control knobs; are they brushed aluminum or chrome?

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

The knobs are brushed aluminum and the handle is Fender style. (Not sure what a Vox style handle is as I have never owned a Vox). The volume and all the knobs on it go to 6 - haha!

7. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

You have an early one. Cool