Any love for the Brownface Concerts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EXP, Mar 9, 2008.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

While I sit here on pins and needles waiting for a '60-62 Concert to pop up thought I'd ask a few questions that have gone unanswered. First of all, amp hunting sucks! :D

Every concert Ive played varied in tone (which could be due to speaker change, tubes, caps etc) The early ones with the yellow Astrons either need to replaced or have a tendency to leak or be out of spec. Anyone compare the astrons with the blue molded Mallories?

The 1962 model with the stock brown Fender spaghetti logo Oxfords, do they hold up on the low end when pushed?

Its been described as a hybrid: BF Super Reverb meets a Tweed Bassman able to get a Marshall crunch when cranked. Would you say thats an accurate description?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What's not to like?

Don't forget about the ultra cool vibrato! ;)

3. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Oh Mike thanks for reminding me I almost forgot about tubes!!! 6L6GC or 5881's whats everyone's preference? I have heard good things about the TAD small bottles.

And yes I didnt forget about the '' harmonic vibrato '' thats one of the main reasons I want one.;)

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

For more headroom, 6L6GCs. SEDs are the most consistent and reliable with the longest track record. The TADs are well received. The GT 6L6GE's sound most like NOS GEs.

5. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

GE 6L6GC's thats whats in the '62 concert I found.:AOK

At least I think they are GE's based on the chassis pics I saw. The owner said they were Tungsols though... hmmm rebranded maybe?

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

What sound are you looking for? For lower headroom and more distortion, the 5881s are best and they're available for a reasonable price NOS. For more headroom, something like the RCA 6L6GCs but they're pricier. The vibrato is uber cool, either version. The Oxfords are good sounding speakers, not a lot of difference between the ceramic and alnico versions in sound, but like all Fenders they're going to flub out if you try and crank the bass AND the volume at the same time. The Jensens will sound more Marshally to my ears (my favorite speakers in Fender amps are the P10Qs but they're very pricey, too). One of these with the stock JBLs (rare as hens teeth) is loud as hell with great clean overhead and cut for a band situation.

7. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Actually Im looking for a marshally breakup out of the amp. I wont touch Jensen reissues but vintage P10Q's or Webers I wouldnt mind replacing the Oxfords with.

Ive noticed the price on the RCA blackplates have dropped substantially since I had my Super Reverb. From what I have seen $175 for a matched pair is fair IMO, I was paying almost that for a pair of NOS Sylvania 6L6GC's.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I don't really get the "Marshally breakup" aspect. Maybe at earsplitting levels.

I'd be very careful about $175 per pair blackplates. That's below wholesale for NOS tubes.

9. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I love my 60 with Astrons!
    I have RI Jensens P10r,s and MM Power Trans.
    The orig. OT trans still in,my amp sounds fantastic and it does nail a crunch Marshall tone ,not at ear shattering Level,but up,and with a good OD it smokes a lot of new amps,these are wanderful tone amps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, see if you can find a set of beat-up P10Qs and have weber recone them: mine sound as good or better than my originals. And they won't be ear crushingly loud when they start to break up, merely loud!

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

So, the general consensus for Concert speakers are the P10Q's? What about british cones? :D:crazyguy

drbob1 and deeval, which tubes have you found best compliment the brownface concert?

12. gregory49

gregory49 Member

oh jeez now I'm starting to get interested in these amps. Thanks man!! :eek:

13. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

The Brown era has been my favorite for Fender tones.I'm having my black faced Silver face era Vibrolux modded to brown specs as much as possible.

The '62 Concerts came with 5881's as best I recall.Don't be surprised if you find some bugs that need fixing in that amp.Shouldn't cost much to get 'er
    sounding like Janet Reno!

14. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

:D

A blackfaced SF modded to brownface specs.:messedup What happened to the Allen 6L6 head?

The '62 Im getting should have a clean bill of health I was told its mechanically/sonically sound. Had a capjob 3 years ago and the GE 6L6GC's are still running strong! There are so many aspects about this amp Im excited about: harmonic vibrato, the opportunity to try some RCA blackplates in it, and of course desired marshall crunch!!! :AOK

15. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I had a '61 and wish I hadn't sold it. It had 2 Weber P10Qs (10A125s) and 2 Weber C10Ns (10F150s). Massive sound and tone to the bone. As much headroom as a Twin Reverb. Not a good small club amp unless you like playing crystal clean and at low volume. They can get very L-O-U-D. Beautiful sounding though. Not to mention really cool looking.

Tom

16. Rumblefish

I'm running the new G.T. blackplates in my lux and they sound real close to the NOS RCA's they replaced.
    I'm really curious to try the brown mod on my lux.I talked to David Allen about it and he sent me schematics and layout sheets for the mod.Off to see Clay at Charley's tomorrow.Should be simple and worth a try.As far as the deluxe,I'll spend the money on that Supro that supposedly nails L.Z.1 tones and have a lot left over too.
    One of the sweetest tones I ever heard was a friend playing his '62 strat through his '62 concert.Wonderful cleans.

17. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Tom, how did you like the Weber alnico/ceramic mix in the concert? Best of both worlds? Im seriously thinking about a quad of Webers or quite possibly a british cone.

18. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Cool, I wonder though if the GT's can handle the high plate voltage of the concert. Let me know how the Supro is.:AOK

19. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Got the '62 Concert, sounds great the cleans sound like a Plexi. The thing is there is no breakup whatsoever. I know its supposed to breakup around 6 or 7 so what gives? Is it the speakers or tubes, the power section is Tungsol 6L6GC's. I had never heard of these, are they rebranded RCA's? Theyre small bottles and have the stop sign '' 6L6 GC '' logo. I have some RCA 6L6GC blackplates just incase these go, the tungsols are sweet sounding but its odd that there is no breakup at all.

Speakers are the stock brown Oxfords 1050k, Im wondering if the speakers have something to do with it as well. Im thinking about putting some 10'' british cones in like a Scumback. Those getting marshall crunch out of your brown concerts what tubes/speakers are you using?

20. Rumblefish

Call David Allen.He'll give you some ideas how to get the tone you want.