• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any love for the Bugera line of amps for the casual player?

Mainmark

Currently I'm concentrating on getting my chops up to speed after a long layoff due to an injury. Later this year I plan to jam with friends and relatives. Have no desire to play out, at least fo the foreseeable future. The Bugera amps seem to have a lot of good reviews on the Sweetwater site, but I take these sort of reviews with a grain of salt, and put more stock in the opinions of the TGP faithful.

rolsen

I recall a YouTube vid of some 'plexi' model and the dude copped some convincing VH tones. Couldn't believe my ears! I bet if you bought one used for a couple hundred you could rock it at home and be happy.

k tone

I have a 1990 (non Infinium) and it kicks all kinds of a$$. I had the V55h as well.

guitarman3001

Yep, I'm a fan. Not the highest build quality but for the most part they sound great. I just sold my V22 in order to fund some new gear but it was one of the warmest sounding amps I've played through. Most of the criticisms Bugera gets is because some of their early run amps had issues but pretty much all of them have been corrected by now. Overall, the tone to dollar ratio is excellent.

You may also want to look into the Boss Katana. They are getting a lot of positive reviews here and a lot of other places.

johnkoz

Silver Supporting Member
:nono Many better choices!
says the guy who has never had--- like what?

I have T50 and V22H; and both together, new, direct from Music-Group refurb <$425 to my door...and both are really good for price point.
Not sure how much better it can get at ~$200 a tube head!

using clean channel on both...

*IGNORE* the haters (it's TGP)

highrise

Bugera 1960 owner here.

These are great. I wouldn't gig with one but to save wear and tear on tubes in my main amp, it's a beaut!

InAbsentia

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn
Silver Supporting Member
I've got a v5 that I play through a 112 with an eminence Texas heat. It sounds really great. I use it to test 12ax7s and such I get because it's a pretty simple amp. Sounds stellar to me.

jimijimmyjeffy

Don't own but played one a lot at jams. You could do much worse with a cheap amp. I have received many compliments after playing one. My amp is 3 grand.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
This doesn't sound half bad, well except for my G and B-string we'ren really in tune. :)

And I had to do a Panama:

Both clips are amp with everything on 10, full blast. Guitar-cable-amp-Suhr Load-delay-reverb-interface-DAW.

guitarman3001

I owned two wise guy. Every other amp I've owned (and there have been quite a few) was/is better.

Do you think the OP's question was only for those who reply "YES"?
Most of the Bugeras that are based on other amps pretty much nail the tones of the other amps. And the original ones like the V22 also sound great. The only ones I haven't been too impressed by are the T series.

How are you defining "better"? Are you going by tone or by build quality?

Alton

I have HAD:
v22 - love it! Went to a good cause and WILL BE replaced
v55 head - Honestly wasn't what I had hoped it would be...now gone
333XL Infinium - Incredibly versatile 3 channel rocker. Sold to a friend in need, will also be replaced at some point.

I'm fortunate in that I have other amps so the Bugeras are not my main amps. That said I sorely miss the V22. Sort of like a Vox meets Fender kind of sound, at least in the pre-infinium models. The trick was to set the bias high for the EL84s and keep the original Bugera speaker. FABULOUS tone! Especially with the Gibson P90s preferably in a Gibson-ish guitar! Not sure if the infinium circuit will provide/allow such a setting so might have to resort to a boost and find an original Bugera speaker from an unloved Bugera or Behringer 4x12. Either way, there is another V22 in my future.

Vibroluxman

How well do these hold up? I've never had great impressions of the bugera in terms of fit, finish and quality of parts. Seems like am amp that would cost more to repair than buy another, but I'd be happy to be wrong

Trending Topics

Top Bottom