Any love for the Cannabis Rex?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ericb, Oct 11, 2004.

1. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Maybe it's because I'm an old pothead , but these I think are my favorite speakers these days.. I've been using 1 in an Engl Screamer combo since they came out, and another in a Naylor 2x12 small cab (with the other hole filled but not hooked up) .. They sound excellent with every single amp I've used them with from Demeters, to Marshalls, to Fenders, to THD's to Boogies to whatever. They sound fantastic for nogain , lo gain , medium gain and extreme gain . I just got my Tonker today and tried that out . That's an excellent sounding speaker too. Different than the CR and most of the others I own. It sounds great, but hi's are too shrill at this point. The other freqs sound perfect. We'll see if the hi's tame and I have a feeling they will shortly. Actually I know they will , as that's my experience with most speakers out of the box. I can see LOADS of guitarists loving the Tonker , just like Doug R has said a hundred times! .... I also have some Red Fangs I loved when I first hooked them up but I haven't even gotten around to matching them to a certain amp or cab yet, as I can't imagine anything beating these CR's for what I play... I also have dozens of other speakers, but just figured out of all these posts on this board about speakers there haven't been many on the Cannabis Rex and I absolutely love them. ......... I have lots of amps and lots of cabs and lots of speakers. Many have sounds I bond with and love , but aren't the "total utilitarian " sound that makes me comfortable and not needing to tweak everything.. The Cannabis Rex is 1 of those speakers for me .

ERIC

2. Boogs

Boogs Member

MUCH love for the C-Rex! :)

lovely cleans, very responsive to pickup and picking changes, and it's smoother top end gives me more room to manuever EQ-wise. i don't use much overdrive, but FWIW i love it's sound with pre-amp OD as well.

3. Boogs

Boogs Member

i think there's an Anti-Patriot Conspiracy going down on this forum.

i'm not naming names yet, but i think this deserves all of our concern,and at least $30mil of our taxes for an investigation...OR double the amount spent on the Monica Lewnsky scandal, whichever is more.

:p ;)

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Used to in younger days, but that paranoia will destroy ya .....

Oh, is this a speaker thread? My bad .....

5. Dirge

Dirge Member

Who is this Rex and where can I get his cell number? :D

I plan on picking one of these up before X-mas.

6. ericb

It's funny but I bought 1 of these when they 1st came out and another instantly when I put that 1st in ... Now, I'd like a load more of them , but have a whole basement full of speakers I'd have to clear out first! Anyway, I'll be using these for some time to come.
    ERIC

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

Eric - I'm going through a lot of speakers for my Demeter 2x12/TGA-2 50 rig, but I haven't hit the Rex's yet. So far I've tried Mesa MC90's, Weber Blue Dogs, Weber Silver Bells, Weber Thames, Weber C1265s, and stock Eminence Legends (unknown model). (By the way, expect a speaker blow-out soon, guys. :D)

The MC90's and the Blue Dogs seem like the best match so far, at least for the clean to medium-gain sounds I use and for my ear. The others are all cool too, but maybe not the best match with this amp and for the tones I'm going for.

Here's my question: as a fellow Demeter user, how would you compare the Rex's with any of these other speakers for use with the TGA? Also, have you had a chance to try the Governors? Those look good possibilities too. Thanks!

8. ericb

This is just a secret between you and me.. It's the best .It's awesome for cleans and the best for distortion. It's a bit lower in volume than some other speakers too. Buy it. I love them. It works great with the tga2 (haven't tried it with the tga3 yet) .. I really think this is my favorite speaker at this point (ever) ..........maybe I've gone crazy? lol

ERIC

9. cogan

cogan Silver Supporting Member

I've got one in a Tone King 2x12 extension cab, paired up with a Weber AlNiCo 1230. What a great sound. They are really nice speakers. I still want to try out a Red Fang though (just a little GAS).

10. hipfan

hipfan Member

Cool. Thanks Eric. I might have to order up a couple from Weber. They seem to have great prices on the new Eminence speakers.

Crazy? Nah! Maybe all that cannabis (Rex that is), has just gone to your head. :D

11. hipfan

hipfan Member

cogan - Thanks. I just got a pair of Weber's ceramic 1230's, so maybe I can try this combo too (minus the AlNiCo, that is).

12. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I have the Rex in my '66 Deluxe and love it. Smoky smooth/warm/big bottom end. Great in the Deluxe...

13. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

Heya Eric,

got one in my Tone King Comet. I'm still working it in, but its sounding great - it was exactly what that Delux-oid amp needed!

K

14. Shemp

Shemp Member

I've got one in my Carr Rambler. It has about 20 hours on it now and it's softening up nicely. Like Kurty says, it's a real Fenderoid C12N kinda speaker, but with a slightly tighter bottom. It plays nicely with pedals as well. It does add some color to the sound imho, but you and I disgree on clean speakers anyway. I think they're a real keeper in 6L6 deluxoidal guitar sound enhancers.

15. ericb

Hey bud! I shoulda figured you'd jump on 1 of those.. yea right.. Glad you like it. I have no doubt at this point it's my favorite with any amp ... I play in a cover band who's playing out 2-3 weekends a month and we play everything from Godsmack and Drowning Pool to Jack Johnson to 80's metal to Sublime,etc. and the Cannabis's work perfectly for it. I would NEVER EVER only recommend these for Fender amps but they're perfect for them! I originally bought these to put in my 1970 Twin , but they work so good for my needs they never made it to that amp. I'd fill my 4x12's with them in a heartbeat , but don't have the funds. I'm playing all my marshalls ,engls,etc thru them! Haven't tried it with a Tremoverb yet but imagine they'd work fine too.. Hope all's well with you and yours

ERIC

16. TLC

TLC Guest

EricB,
    I've been hanging out asking questions about speaker choices for my Mesa DC3 and was just about to buy a fellow members Weber g1265 when I got beat out for procrastinating to long. Then I started looking at the Weber site and here, looking for more info and stumbled across the Emminence Cannabis Rex threads. I bit the bullet and purchased one yesterday based on the descriptions offered here and elswhere. Hope I can soon share the love everyone else seems to have for this speaker. Thanks for your tone descriptions. I think this will make a great replacement for my V30.
    TLC

17. NorCalTuna

NorCalTuna Member

I am a cannabis lover as well, but I get mine here in Cali in san rafael from A Brown Sound. I run the Alnico in my deluxe reverb ri and the ceramic in a 6v6'd Mesa Mk1 reissue, and love my tubbies. They holler, and loudly taboot.

comparison? discussion? How does that speaker handle power? I've had an alnico give up the smoke on me once, and I'd like to go back to 100w and 6L6s on the mesa... so I'm a bit leery, but like the tone...

would the rex hold a hundo watts? Is there only one way to find out???

andy
    ( ...yes, I have reissue fever, cuz I can't afford original mania)

18. Sammy

Sammy Member

Had Rob install a CR in my Valvetech22 instead of their stock Celestion Greenback as I told him I prefered a smoother sound. On checking up on different speakers both of us agreed a CR might be the best option and we were certainly right my best sounding amp to date.

Though Rob still swears by the Greenback for his Valvetech so I will have to try out one sometime just for a comparison, if I can ever be bothered!:JAM

19. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    I tried 10 different speakers when I got my Fuchs TDS, and the Cannabis Rex is my favorite of them all!!!!

20. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

clips of these speakers anyone? medium to high gain..?