Any Love For the FD10th?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last Nerve, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I've never looked at one before, until today.

Does anyone her use one?
    How are they? What's the pros/cons?

2. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

it's great...but i really use the standard setting more often

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

I have one on the way. It will be my 4th FDII and I will NOT sell this one. I love them and usually only sell because the FDII seems expendable when I get a new toy, but then I miss that sound. My last one was one of the cream custom shop jobs and that thing sounded KILLER.

4. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

With GAS, one thing I've come to grips with is never say "I Will Not Sell this One".:rolleyes:

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

I know!! I meant it tongue in cheek...

I was "never selling" my AM Sunface or Time Machine Boost either...DOH!

6. woude

woude Member

I love mine.

I sold a fulldrive II last year to buy something with an independable boost channel. I didn't find one that I really liked. Now the new mosfet sounds makes up for that. Basically you've got five different sounds, each with a boost. So, that makes ten in total.

I compared the fulldrive mosfet to a whole bunch of overdrive pedals (again) last weekend. My conclusion is that a lot of pedals do the same thing, but the fulldrive just does a lot more, and it does everything slightly better. None of the pedals were quite as juicy as in the vintage/stock setting, none of them as tight and clear as in the fm/mosfet setting and personally I think that a lot of boosts sound dull compared to the compcut mode of the fulldrive.

Some people don't like fulltone pedals, claim that they have no character and sound sterile. I think this pedal is equally as good or even better than 99% (I still have to test a Klon and an Eternity ;-) ) of the overdrives out there.

7. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

bump, let's hear more

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I am digging the one I just got today!
    WOW.
    Lots of great tones. Messed around with both toggles, didn't get a bad sound yet.
    Boost has nice volume to it, with just a tiny bit of added compression, IMO, so it doesn't completely change the tone you've set on the unit.
    The Comp-Cut Mosfet setting blew me away!
    Awesome job, Mike.

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Yeah I think the FD-2 10th Anniversary is very good, when I had mine it never came out of the mosfet position. I think it sounds its best when an amp is slightly pushed!

10. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Really like the flat-mids, mosfet setting. Great pedal, an improvement over the standard FD-II in my opinion.

11. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

What I'm really waiting for is Mike's new GT-350 pedal to come out, The OD side is strictly mosfet as well as the distortion side. Sounds like it will be a killer pedal to have!

12. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I don't own a FD-2 10th Anniversary (I did try one recently though), but if I'm not mistaken, the normal/mosfet switch doesn't have any effect when the comp-cut mode is selected. I believe the normal/mosfet switch selects whether signal clipping is achieved using regular diodes or mosfet transistors (that are wired to act as diodes). But in comp-cut mode, the clipping section of the circuit is switched out.

BTW, the only Fulldrive I ever owned was the very first version, which had only three knobs (you couldn't adjust the boost level - it was fixed) and an unpainted case with stick-on labels. I ordered it directly from Mike Fuller. That particular model was only useful at the minimum gain setting; otherwise, it got WAY too compressed. It also suffered from a lack of bass response. Things have obviously come a long way since that early example.

One more thing... a longtime Fulldrive 2 user is a great Boston-area guitarist (well known among Tele player afficionados), Duke Levine. I've heard him get great singing, grinding lead tones out of that pedal. Of course, Duke is so ridiculously great he can probably make anything sound good.

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

I got the MOSFET a couple of weeks ago and it's nice. Still hasn't kicked my TC Jauernig Gristle King out of the lineup though. I'm beginning to think nothing will.

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

'True dat.

The MOSFET clipping isn't as pronounced as you may think. I had them side by side and didn't perceive the difference to be overly advantageous compared to the original. Besides, my favorite setting is the comp-cut mode and {in that setting} it's the same pedal. The Fulldrive II is a great box that sounds wildly different through various amplifiers and guitars. I totally prefer the way the FM & Vintage modes responds and projects with single coils. My ears hear much smoother tapers and a wider sweep of the pots with lower output pickups. All the nuances of the Fulldrive shine with a good strat or tele. And if it's good enough for Mr. Magic Hands Duke Levine then it's good enough for me!

15. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I picked one up in April or so...really enjoyed it all summer.