Any love for the Fender Elite Flame?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teestone, Jul 18, 2006.

1. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

So I finally managed to find my "white elephant" guitar...an early 80's Fender Elite Flame. I borrowed one from a friend for about 3 years. His dad owns a music store and he still refused to sell it to me even though he's a keyboard player....bastard!!!! So I had to find one on my own.

Anyway, I snagged one off of Ebay for a song about a month ago. Of course with most Ebay guitars, it has some small issues. It needs a setup, a truss rod adjustment, a new input jack, the switches need to be tightened down. Basically, it needs some TLC.

When I have all that stuff done, I'd like to replace the not-so-wonderful Schaller pickups with something similar too. I'm gonna need something hot like the Schallers, but it MUST sound good in coil-tap mode too. For whatever reason, the coil-tapped sounds on this guitar are great and I don't want to loose that vibe when I change pickups. Any of you guys who own one of these have any suggestions on what I should drop in as replacements?

Is there any love out there for these underpraised guitars? I'd love to hear what other people think of these!:JAM

2. veldt666

veldt666 Member

I fitted one with SD "Seth Lovers",
    (rewound 4 conductor, recovered & potted), it's now one of the best sounding guitars I own, a great soft woody airy tone.

3. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

I have an 1984 Esprit Standard, currently fitted with Fralin PAFs, but I donĀ“t use split-coil sounds.

If you like hotter pickups the Dunvan 59/JB combo is always a good solution. Robben Ford used these pickups for a for long time and his split coil sounds were great..

Have fun with you new guitar.

4. Matt F

Matt F Member

I'de love to own one.. :)

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

I always thought they were REALLY nice looking guitars, but they seem to be pretty rare. I've only seen a couple and one of them was an absolute knockout. I'd forgotten about that model...

6. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I have a Fender Esprit Std from the '80s, which is from the same period/plant I believe - came with Burstbuckers (schaellers were gone) that I have swapped for duncan 59's. Really nice, underated guitar. I could never get the coil tap to sound right, but I have strats and teles to take care of that.

7. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

Jimmy Wallace had one back a couple of months ago. I saw it after I bought a Strat and Espirit RI. I didnt know (then) if i'd like the body style/PU config etc... While the Espirit is nice as a backup, I'll gladly trade up to the real thing (once I find another).

8. teestone

They are pretty rare. They pop up now and again on Ebay. The problem I always had was that they're always WAY overpriced. I managed to happen upon an auction with "No Reserve" and an openning bid of $1.00 from an "ify" seller. Feedback was intact but it was a pawn shop. I think that fact scared away many buyers. Like I said, it needs some TLC but it's still very playable.

9. teestone

This is the only reason I'm scared to replace the Schallers. They're not bad, just not great either. What they do well is split/tap...whichever it is. The trick is going to be finding pickups that will be hot enough...yet maintain some balls when they're split/tapped. I was thinking Unbuckers but I'm not sure if they're hot enough. Does anyone know the strength of the Schallers? That might help.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I had one a few years back, and I thought it was a really fine guitar. Nice neck, nice overall build, etc.

Mine had the black plastic Schaller humbuckers, which were a bit too hot for my tastes, but it made for a GREAT slide guitar.

11. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

I had a set of Rio Grandes in a Strat, Tallboy in the neck, Muy Grande in the bridge. While they weren't my favorite pickups in humbucking mode, they were plenty hot and the coil-tap tones were the best I've ever heard from a pickup that wasn't a single coil.

12. texasflood_dk

texasflood_dk Member

I bought a standard Esprit from '84 at eBay 6 month ago.
    I didn't really liked the Schaller pick-ups either so I changed them to Seymour Duncans (a JB at bridge, and a '59 in the neck position which is as I recall it what the RF model has..)

Now I can get a really nice sound with those SD pups on the Esprit.

Two things I really like about the Fender Esprit :
    It has a great neck and a great distinct sound made from those tonechambers.

Haven't tried the Squier Esprit though - like to try one out someday for comparison.

Above all it's a guitar I would recommend.

13. 6stringgrind

6stringgrind Member

Isn't this the guitar that Ty Tabor of King's X used on the first few albums? If so, I think that's why they're overpriced much of the time.