• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Any love for the Hofner 500/1 bass?

Tylenol Jones

Bought a Contemporary Series (CT) bass a while ago and adore the sound and playability.

It's a real wonder why it's not used more extensively by bands, today.

Pantone 333

I used to own one. Its sound is unmatched and I think their pickups are fantastic. That being said, I had to let it go. To me, not much note definition. What I mean by that is from one fret to the next on the same string it was hard to tell the difference. It's one of those instruments that sound amazing but when I play it sounds like dung.

Tylenol Jones

I hear ya. I've had that experience with many instruments. That's why I think there's a lot of truth in the "tone is in the fingers" argument.

Even though I've had mine for the past few months, I'm still digging it like mad. Even got a fantastic price (50% off!) because mine was red instead of sunburst... which is what everybody seems to want.

joe_jr

Gold Supporting Member
I found myself playing my Jay Turser 500/1 knockoff more than the 5000/1. They both played and sounded nice.

BlueTalon

For me, ergonomically, it was the worst bass I ever owned. It was virtually impossible to play sitting down, it neck-dove like crazy when playing it standing, and there wasn't a good place for me to anchor my thumb.

So why did I buy it, you ask? Because it was also the first bass I ever owned. I bought it from a guy at my school, before I had any experience with which to judge how good a bass would be for me. Plus it was cheap.

FFTT

Feels like a toy compared to my '64 Jazz, but for someone starting out on bass, a hollow body or semi-hollow bass means you can practice for hours on end unplugged and still hear yourself.
I basically spent my first 2 years without owning an amp.

Jeff Scott

I had a 500/1V63 for a while. Yes, it takes a bit of orienting oneself after playing a larger bass but the tone of the bass with both pickups up full or just the neck pickup is pretty addicting.

FFTT

I will never sell my Hofner but if I were looking for a hollow body bass, I'd look at the Gretsch semi-hollows. The necks were every bit as comfortable at my Rick 4001 and the action was way better than my Hofner. Tone was fine even with stock pickups. They just need flat wound strings.

Jeff Scott

I almost bought one of those a few years ago, a German made one (assuming there are non-German ones made, too).

Pantone 333

She likes them, only person I've ever seen play one...
That's actually a guy. His name is Nick Allbrook; used to be the bassist of Tame Impala. Honest mistake though, as when I saw him in a video, I totally thought he was a woman.

I've been playing Hofner's since the mid 60's and I've been very fortunate to have visited the factory in Hagenau.

Here are my two HCT500/1's The one on the left is a 2007 and the CV is a 2014. The 2007 has been completely retrofitted with German hardware. Both have a German made Control Panel.

A couple of years ago I did a direct comparison of a 500/1v63 and my HCT500/1 both with pyramid strings same amp and settings. You couldn't tell the difference between them.

TD

Last edited:

Trending Topics