Any love for the Ibanez Artcore Custom (AF105)?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fernando, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

Hey guys. I'm one step away from buying an Ibanez Artcore Custom. This is model AF105, with two humbuckers (Ibanez Super 58's). The price is very nice and the guitars sounds and plays very seewtly too. Anyone owns one of these? Pros and Cons? Thanks!

2. Fernando

Fernando Member

3. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I have seen then and been impressed, but not played them. I think they look great and are certainly a bargain. A good friend has checked them out, and he says they are a great deal and good guitars. Just out of curiousity, does anybody know whether these are made in China, or Korea?

4. Fernando

Fernando Member

I believe they're made in China. At least that's what is written in every user reviews in Harmony-Central.

5. Brick

Brick Member

6. Fernando

Fernando Member

Thanks, it was quite useful!

7. fred dons

fred dons Member

8. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

9. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

I don't have that exact model, but I've gigged my artcore hollowbody about twice a week for about a year and a half now, and it's been great. It's not as magical as my vintage L5, but it was less than 10% of the price (I have a very low-end artcore) and the audience can't tell anyway. The guitar has been very reliable, fun to play, consistently good tone (and good range of tones), and holds it tune - everything I look for in a gigging guitar. Certainly a keeper, and at the price points the Artcore series is hitting, I think they are a great choice for hollowbody players who need a back-up for their extra-fine instrument, as well as players who are interested in adding some hollowbody tones to their palatte.

10. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

I have the 335 copy (AS73) ... fabulous guitar for the money. Kicks the everliving SNOT out of an Epiphone Dot I had a while back ...

HT

11. axpro

axpro Member

+1 on the artcores... I have a hollow 335 style (forget the model right now) I gave it a setup and BANG, it was ready... I did put some eric Johnson Pickups in it (they are awesome gretschy sounding HB's) and I added some push/pull pots for series/parallel switching... it sounds great, and plays really well, even with the minimal amount of work I did.

12. Fernando

Fernando Member

I ordered mine today, it will get here on thursday. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

13. fred dons

fred dons Member

you made a good choice

to Doug, yes I do all my painting myself btw I like you artwork!

14. Fernando

Fernando Member

Just received my new acquisition tonight. It is an awsome guitar. I'm aware that this is no high end archtop, but I don't think it is merely a bang for the buck.

The finish is flawless. The pick guard was a bit loose, and making some buzz, but I fixed it right away just by tightening the screws a bit.

The setup was ok out of the box, but I changed the factory .010 roundwounds (why do they do that?) with .011 chrome flatwounds. After the restringing, I had to do some fine tunning.

The Super 58 pups sound pretty good to my ears. They're not dark sounding at all, but the tone, especially on the neck pu, is really sweet. I could get some mellow jazz tones, with a touch of reverb.

I had to loosen all the strings to remove the protective piece of paper under the bridge, and the bridge got a little crazy on me after that. It is not attached to the body, so it moves back and forth and from right to left. Took me a while to put it back to the right place again. This was particularly annoying.

The case that came with it is a little crappy, I had to put some glue underneath the tolex, because it was coming off in one spot.

I couldn't decide if I wanted an archtop with regular metal bridge or rosewood. It was a pleasant surprise to realize a spare rosewood bridge, in adition to the standard metal one, comes with this model. I wonder why they don't advertise that.

Overall, the guitar really surprised me. I'm really happy I decided to go with it.

Thanks for the help folks! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

15. ArtcorePhoenix

ArtcorePhoenix Member

Hey guys, how's it going?
    My wife was gracious enough to let me spend $420.00(pun intended, but really $420.00, that was her number out of thin air!) on Muscians Friend, and here is what bought. Let me know what you think. It is suppsed to be here on the 21st. I'm going freakin nutso!

QTY DESCRIPTION AMOUNT
    *******************************************************************************
    1 ELIXIR POLYWEB ELECTRIC SUPER LIGHT STRINGS KC 10.99
    1 NADY SP-33 DYNAMIC MICROPHONE KC 14.99
    1 IBANEZ ARTCORE SERIES AS73TCR TRANS CHRY KC 329.99 :drool
    1 SENNHEISER HD201 PRO CLOSED BACK HEADPHONES KC 24.95
    1 MXL IBOOSTER GUITAR & MICROPHONE INTERFACE MAC KC 39.99
    PRODUCT 420.91
    TAX 0.00
    POSTAGE & HANDLING 0.00
    TOTAL $ 420.91

Awesome, yes? No? Maybe so?

16. Boogs

Boogs Member

You're in deep doo-doo my friend! :Spank

;)

All joking aside, isn't it amazing how much your dollars can get you these days. I love my two Artcores - my "cheap" AG75, and my "well, not cheap but reasonable" AF105FNT. Inexpensive guitars SUCKED when I was a kid, with very few exceptions, but times have sure changed.