Any love for the Jaques Prisoner??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JimmyR, Oct 6, 2006.

1. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Anyone tried it? Does it suffer from buffer-itis? I know very little about Jaques pedals.

TIA!

2. drolling

drolling Member

Great little pedal w/very cool modulatior circuitry.

Annyone raised on digital delays will probably find 300 milleseconds too short.

The buffer's no worse than your average BOSS pedal.

Go to Jacques website www.ts808.com for soundclips that are a good representation of the capabilities of this pedal.

Fatback did a cool video clip here a while ago. You might be able to locate it w/the search function..

3. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I think Fatback's got some clips on YouTube...

4. erksin

erksin Member

Great pedal, IMO!

I've not had a huge amount of experience with delays (well, at least not as much a drolling - that boy is delay crazy!) - but what I love about the Prisoner is the clarity of the repeats, yet it still stays warm. The modulation gives it just enough movement to sound tape-ish. I don't notice any sonic issues with the buffer.

If delay was a huge component of my sound, I'd probably get something like a Diamond Memory Lane - but for my purposes the Jacques is perfect.

5. i2K92

i2K92 Member

6. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Huge hands...he's carnival folk :D

7. erksin

erksin Member

It's smaller than an MXR-sized enclosure...

8. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I dig this little pedal. It is super quiet, clean - yet warm, modulation is good. I have noticed no significant negative impact to my chain as a result of the buffer in this pedal. Seems to be a good one.

As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, my only gripe is the modulation pot taper. Not enough control. From too little modulation to too much with just a fly's eye lash of movement.

All in all, a great useable, great size analog delay pedal.

No regrets in purchasing this one.

9. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

Fatback is a God amongst men, but the only thing the Prisoner has over the DMM is size. If they could have just squeeze another 200 ms out of that thing it would be most impressive though. The modulation and feedbacking sound great.

10. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

It should be re-named the Prisoner echo...

11. fatback

fatback Member

After reading about it on HCfx, I recently picked up an old Ibanez DML 10 modulation delay II pedal. It's digital, and definately not as warm as the Prisoner, but it can get up to 900ms and does the same sort of modulated delay time madness. At @ $100. they are a cheaper alternative for mod delays, but you have to watch out for failed jacks on the old series 10 Ibanez pedals... at least on the two FC10, Fat Cats I've had.

12. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

Way to out a gem man! :AOKThe Prisoner reminds me of the DML 10 for sure, good call! I think the delay on the Prisoner is a bit better, but the modulation sounds are certainly equals, and 900 ms is HUGE for a mod delay.

13. kidamerica17

kidamerica17 Member

This is my main live delay. The pros: small footprint, crazy modulation, clear echos. Cons: the echos can seem a little sterile w/o the modulation (this is in comparison to my other delays -- AD900 and DMM). Due to the modulation and small size, I don't see this one leaving my board for quite some time.