• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Any love for the Jensen Blackbird P100?

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't been impressed with Italian made Jensens until now. I think that the 100 Watt Alnico Jensen Blackbird is among the finest speakers that I've ever played through. To me, it captures the bell like clarity of a vintage P12N with a much larger footprint and bass response. Once broken in this speaker shines as bright as an ASW, Scumback, EVM012L, Celestion Gold, and any other high end speaker. I like them better.

Anyone else out there like the Blackbird?

I'm a fan. I'm working with a friend on making an isolation box for recording (loud) guitar parts, and I'm using the Jensen as the speaker for it since it'll handle the power and because it sounds so sweet. Very psyched about how it'll work.

OneL

I slipped a Jensen Blackbird into a Fender tone ring cab I had laying around and it sounds great. I expect once it breaks in fully it will end up being one of my favorite speaker cabs.

Bama93

Silver Supporting Member
I have two in a port city OS 2x12 due to Daniels recommendation - spectacular speakers!! I've played a two rock custom clean, kimock, and a one of a kind Ruby through it - those speakers can handle anything.
Mm

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone put them in a twin?
I've plugged my Twin into a 1X12 and it sounded huge. For me it's the perfect speaker for a vintage Fender or Fender type amp. A 1X12 with a Blackbird sounds bigger than a 2X12 loaded with two vintage P12Ns.

I can't imagine a 2X12 loaded with them. That would be amazing!

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I have two in a port city OS 2x12 due to Daniels recommendation - spectacular speakers!! I've played a two rock custom clean, kimock, and a one of a kind Ruby through it - those speakers can handle anything.
Mm
+1 Playing the Custom Clean through the BB was an eye opener.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
I have had one for about 4 months and to be quite honest, I have been underwhelmed. I bought it so I could pair it with my Carol-Ann, but it mellowed that amp too much. I then paired it with my Red Iron T-Rex and had the same experience. It sounds great with my Mesa MKIII and Express clone, but nothing that parted the clouds and allowed the angels to sing. I paired it with my friends Cowtipper 45 and still was underwhelmed. I have it in the emporium right now, but I think I will try to put it in a 2x12 with another speaker and see what happens....

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I put one in my Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55 1x12 and am for the most part happy w/it! before that I had the Jensen Neo 12 100 which was too flat sounding for me. I also have a 1x12 cab w/ a Eminence Commonwealth ( JBL clone and HEAVY!) which I really like except for the weight!

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I have had one for about 4 months and to be quite honest, I have been underwhelmed. I bought it so I could pair it with my Carol-Ann, but it mellowed that amp too much. I then paired it with my Red Iron T-Rex and had the same experience. It sounds great with my Mesa MKIII and Express clone, but nothing that parted the clouds and allowed the angels to sing. I paired it with my friends Cowtipper 45 and still was underwhelmed. I have it in the emporium right now, but I think I will try to put it in a 2x12 with another speaker and see what happens....
I'm surprised you didn't like the CT45 thru the BB. I can see how you would not like it with the CA, TRex. I wouldn't use a vintage P12N with those amps either. I like the ASW KTS-70 with the Carol Ann.

Not quite on subject... but I have the Jensen Mod 5" in my Pignose 7-100 and love it. For lack of a better term, the amp has a more articulate Pignose sound.

So chalk up another endorsement for Jensen.

Last edited:

MrBoZiffer

I've got a Jensen Tornado that is in the same Jet series as the Blackbird. I really love the Tornado and am interested in the Blackbird. I realize that one is neo and one is alnico, but I've been reading some good reviews about the Jet series as a whole. I'd like to stick the Blackbird in my brown Deluxe. I want to keep that distinct OD of the Deluxe, so I'm hoping the BB will retain the warmth and maybe even bring out the bass a little bit more. I'm also considering some of the Weber 12A125s and the Celestion Gold. Thoughts?

Here's a clip of the Blackbird:
http://tempusfugitives.articulateimages.com/GearClips/SpeakerTestClips/JensenBBird20080605.mp3
...and the Gold:
http://tempusfugitives.articulateimages.com/GearClips/SpeakerTestClips/CeleGold20080605.mp3

...recorded as close to the same as I humanly could. Same settings on the Fargen SuperCollider clean then mixed clean and dirty channels, same backing track, same riffs and chords, same mics with the same placement (dynamic on the cab, condenser 4' back), same guitar, very similar cabs even. I just set everything at noon, didn't try to optimize for any of the speakers, just trying to get a meaningful comparison between them. What can I tell ya, I was bored one day so I set it up and did it.

Ah hell, here's the Fane Alnico 12" I did at the same time in the same way:
http://tempusfugitives.articulateimages.com/GearClips/SpeakerTestClips/Fane12Alnico20080605.mp3
...and the Cele 1265 (new):
http://tempusfugitives.articulateimages.com/GearClips/SpeakerTestClips/Cele1265_20080605.mp3

I've never played the Weber, so I can't add anything to that. Hope it helps.

MrBoZiffer

THANKS!!! The BB sounds smoother to me. I'm not familiar with Fargen so I'll have to find out how it compares to my Deluxe, but that was very helpful.

:)

Trending Topics