Any love for the Legendary Pignose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tonepolice, Feb 5, 2008.

1. tonepolice

tonepolice Member

Kathmandu, Nepal in the middle of the Himalayan mo
    I've tried a host of small amps (Vox DA, Fender GDEC, Microcube etc) for noodling around the house and with jamming with friends but nothing beats my old Pignose 700 when it comes to tone and simplicity.

Granted its not as versatile as the other amps mentioned above but there is something about the ol' Porker thats just so warm and has an almost tube like feel to it. Workable cleans and some nasty nasty raw, in your face OD when cranked. I prefer its tone over any small digital modellers out there. Anyone else feel the same about them?

Oink! Oink!

2. Free

Free Member

Clapton did in Derek and the Dominoes. That amp is all over the place.

3. Free

Free Member

He likes them too:

[​IMG]

4. bynt

bynt Member

I will one day have the 40 watter. I always forget about those little guys. That thing smokes!!!! It's kind of a one trick pony to me but I love them.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I played mine this past weekend in the living room. Cool litte Amp!

6. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Supporting Member

which one is the pignose 700? I've got one that I've had for so long, I'm always forgetting about it. I can't remember if they came with 9 vdc originally, or was that a later version?

Not a bad amp. But since I got my sf champ, its been getting the weekend away call of duty. Unless I go someplace with no electricity (which I hardly do voluntarily anymore).

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

i had that pignose where you could open up the cab and kind of swing it open for different "ported" sounds. 30 bucks at the pawn shop. traded it for a TS-10 back in the day. gave the tube screamer to my brother in law. little snot sold it for booze. pignose.

8. 4styx

4styx Member

Geat practice amp,it won't let you away with anything other than flawless playing.

9. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

what are you talking about. jimmy page never uses amps. he just plugs in to whatever is around :D

10. MarkHiatt

MarkHiatt Member

I love my li'l PigNose! I've got one of the little originals, with the 9v batteries and the optional plug-in-the-wall thingie. Loud enough to get the police interested, small enough to pack along anywhere, and every one comes with a story. What's not to love?

11. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Didn't frank Zappa record with one of those too?

12. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I played a show with a friend's band...it was my first show with my Dr. Z Mazerati and I was super stocked to use it. I played through my ZBest w/ Weber AlNiCo Silver Bells...no one could hear me (un-miked, but small club)! (I found out later that those speakers have less headroom than ceramic and that I need an open back cab to get off on stage.

My friend's band played next (all American 70's classic rock ala Mountain and the like)...he used a Pignose into a 212 cab and CRUSHED my tone! I was amazed and disgraced.

13. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I used to run one into a Vox Berkeley II for some front end boost. Got some pretty strange looks but it actually worked pretty well.

14. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I had a pignose amp in 1975, it died after a couple weeks, never went back.

15. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

I have one, an original 1970's model, complete with AC adaptor. Paid $40.00 for it used(probably the cheapest vintage amp you can buy). It sounds really good. I used to have a 1996 re-issue. It didn't sound quite as good, but it was really close.

Two easy ways to distinguish an original from later re-issues:
    1)silver/blue/red Pignose sticker inside, between battery holders
    2)Pignose logo on speaker grille has slight upward tilt(slight downward
    tilt on re-issues).

16. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've owned a couple of them. They're great amps but I keep selling them and I've got to hold on to one. I used to like to get a friend to open and close the cab while I played to get a wah wah effect. Also they sound great just with a strat played in a large echoey room.
    I believe too that Fank Zappa used to record with them. The story I've heard is that he put it in a wardrobe and mic-ed it up with some really expensve studio vocal mike.

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

No one remebers the Cheech and Chong routine with a wall of Pignose amps for "Basketball Jones" on one of those late night music shows? IIRC!
    Or maybe it was "Earache My Eye".

18. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

I still keep one out on the guitar repair workbench, and muscle it to all the big arena shows. Gotta keep it under the stage, though, or the volume will rip the stadium seating out. :banana
    I keep one of the little fold-open, battery cabs handy for quick rehearsals, lessons, and gear testing, as well as to keep handy in the cabin when playing at church retreats, and such. I picked up a Rat-Shack transformer, so I don't burn up a truckload of batteries everytime I use it - works out great.

El Steve-0