Any love for the MIM tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by watchingme, Jul 9, 2008.

1. watchingme

watchingme Member

I am considering one but I wanted to get opinions on people who own one.

If you own one did you keep it stock or change something?

If you passed on buying one what was the reason?

Just looking for various opinions and pros and cons.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of trying a bunch before I find a gem, I am a lefty and will have to order it:(

Thanks for your help!

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

You're probably familiar with this place but I'll throw it out here anyway.

http://www.southpawguitars.com/

I had a MIM Standard Tele back in the early 90's. It was a nice guitar. I did swap out the pups but otherwise had no complaints.

Good luck in your search.

3. frank62

frank62 Member

The 50s classic is a great Tele and can be had used around 400. The new Squire Pine Tele looks intresting. 300 new.

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I have one right here at the office. It is my friend's. He ordered it from MF on a scratch and dent sale. I play it everyday, pretty much. It has a perfect neck for me...very easy to play and comfortable. It is heavy, but it has a nice tone. I am sure it could be improved with better PUs, but he likes it as is and I tend to agree.

Mike

5. morlll

morlll Member

I've played some nice ones in stores.

Go for it.

6. m@2

m@2 Member

i have a MIM 50's series that is great. I did put some really nice pickups in it, so that greatly improved things, but the basics (neck, action, fit and finish etc>) were already there. One of the best values in guitars IMO

7. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

I have an early production MIM Tele that is the epitome of the working musician's guitar. (I got it from a well-known Nashville picker.) It has a few chips, some buckle rash, and one of the best necks I've ever played. The setup and intonation are perfect, and the damned thing sounds so good stock that every time I consider upgrading, a simple strum and the internal dialogue comes to an end. :AOK

Worth taking a chance on.

Cheers,
    Cowboy

8. Bankston

Bankston Member

I used to have Deluxe Nashville Tele that I liked a lot.

Got rid of it and upgraded to a Deluxe Ash Tele.

9. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

10. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

My bandmate just bought a lefty MIM Tele, based on how much she liked my righty one. It's a GREAT guitar... classic killer Tele sound, looks great too.

My #1 stage axe is a MIM Tele in the discontinued agave blue color. Current mods are a vintage ashtray bridge (worthwhile imho) with compensated saddles, and EMG Tele pickups that are so good they'll make you rethink everything you ever believed about EMG.

11. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I only have MIM teles. I love em. All sunburst and all with GFS pups.

12. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I've always wanted to try a Baja Tele, they are supposed to be really nice. Bridge/saddle replacement and pickup upgrades are standard for pretty much every Tele I've ever had anyway, so maybe someday I'll try and find one.
    +1 for the GFS Fatbody Tele bridge pup = it rocks!

13. Tubthumper

Tubthumper Member

I bought a MIM lefty Tele in 2004. Had to order it through a dealer, therefore bought it sight unseen/hands unplayed. I'm happy with it. Great neck, maple board. It's quite heavy though. Sounds great.

I recently bought a top-of-the-range Fender Japan 68 RI lefty Strat and, weirdly, the Tele sounds mellow in comparison. Deeper lows and sparklier (sp.?) highs in the Tele. One thing I've discovered though is that the Strat on middle pup sounds very similar to the Tele on both pickups.

From what I've read around the traps, buying a guitar this way is somewhat risky, as there are good and bad guitars in any brand/model/price range. If you're not happy, you could just refuse it, no? Having said that, I think the chances are that you'll get a very good instrument for the price.

Good luck, happy hunting!

14. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Ive got one thats about 4 or 5 years old. I bought it from guitar center after playing just about every MIM tele in the place. The particular tele I bought seemed a bit heavier than the rest and had a straight neck.
    Anyways ive enjoyed the guitar since ive had it and the neck is still straight. I used it for the first 3 years of owning it with its original cheap pups and had no issues because I played through a pod. Everything sounds good through them. Eventually I joined the world of tube amps and found that the pups actually suck.. I had a Duncan little 59 put in the bridge and another Duncan put in the neck with new pots also installed. They made a world of difference for the better.

15. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I like em'

MIM Muddy Waters Tele-Stock pickups!
    MIM Ash FSR Tele-Pickups swapped
    2 MIM Alder Tele's- Pickups swapped

Also have:
    G&L ASAT Tribute Special "Stock"
    G&L ASAT Tribute Classic Semi-Hollow "Stock"

I love the import G&L's ALOT more!

16. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

I rewired my friend's MIM Tele with a pair of Texas Specials and a 4-way switch for neck, both in phase, both out of phase, and bridge. Many nice tones in that little Mexican cutie.

17. Griz

Griz Member

RI '72 Tele Deluxe and 90's Tex-Mex Tele. Love 'em. Great value; my work horses.

:AOK

18. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

MIM Tele's are very cool!

19. teleman55

teleman55 Member

My LH MIM has lately become my main #1 guitar. It's an '05 or so...got the thin frets and the alnico 5 pickups. Maple neck. It's really nice. The neck is great. The pickups are real good too. I did just replace them with Original Vintage but the stock ones are no slouches. I've tried the newer ones with the fat frets and hotter pickups. They're nice too but a little different.